Equations of motion for position/momentum uncertainty

m}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}|\psi(x)|^2x^2dx = \frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}|e^{ikx}|^2x^2dx = \frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}x^2dx = \frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\left[\frac{x^3}{3}\right]_{-\infty}^{\infty} = \frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\left(\frac{\infty}{3} - \frac{-\infty}{3}\right)
superiority

Homework Statement

A particle is moving freely in the x direction.
Find the initially allowed (i.e. at t=0) values of [itex]\langle x^2 \rangle[/itex] and [itex]\langle p^2 \rangle[/itex], and find equations of motion for [itex]\Delta x[/itex] and [itex]\Delta p[/itex],

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\langle A\rangle = \frac{1}{i\hbar}\langle [A, H]\rangle + \left\langle \frac{\partial A}{\partial t} \right\rangle[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{dt} \langle x\rangle = \frac{1}{m} \langle p\rangle[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{dt} \langle -\nabla V(\mathbf{r})\rangle[/tex]
[tex]\Delta A = \sqrt{\langle x^2 \rangle - \langle x\rangle ^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've gotten [itex]\frac{d}{dt} \langle x^2 \rangle = \frac{1}{m} \langle xp + px\rangle = \frac{1}{m} \langle 2xp - i\hbar \rangle[/itex], but I'm not sure how this helps me with the initial value. Do I integrate it with respect to time? If so, how? I know that <x> and <p> are both initially zero. Is <xp> zero at t=0 as well?

As for the equations for [itex]\Delta x[/itex] and [itex]\Delta p[/itex], I'm imagining that I find the time derivative of each uncertainty in terms of the expectation values of position/position squared and momentum/momentum squared, then integrate with respect to time. I'm not sure that I'm on the right track, though, and every time I try to start, I get stuck. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org

To find the initially allowed values of <x^2> and <p^2>, you can use the fact that the particle is moving freely in the x direction. This means that there is no external force acting on the particle, and thus the potential energy V(x) is constant. Since the particle is in a state of constant energy, we can use the time-independent Schrodinger equation to find the allowed values of <x^2> and <p^2>. This equation is given by:

\hat{H}\psi(x) = E\psi(x)

where \hat{H} is the Hamiltonian operator, \psi(x) is the wavefunction, and E is the energy of the particle. In the case of a free particle, the Hamiltonian is given by:

\hat{H} = \frac{\hat{p}^2}{2m}

where \hat{p} is the momentum operator and m is the mass of the particle. Plugging this into the time-independent Schrodinger equation, we get:

\frac{\hat{p}^2}{2m}\psi(x) = E\psi(x)

Using the momentum operator \hat{p} = -i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial x} and rearranging, we get:

\frac{\partial^2 \psi(x)}{\partial x^2} = -\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}\psi(x)

This is a second-order differential equation with solutions of the form:

\psi(x) = Ae^{ikx} + Be^{-ikx}

where k = \sqrt{\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}}. Since the particle is moving freely in the x direction, we can assume that the wavefunction is a plane wave, meaning that B = 0. We can also normalize the wavefunction to get the allowed values of <x^2> and <p^2>. The normalized wavefunction is given by:

\psi(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{ikx}

The allowed values of <x^2> and <p^2> can then be found by integrating \psi^*x^2\psi and \psi^*p^2\psi over all space. This gives us:

<x^2> = \frac{\hbar^2}{2

1. What is the equation for position/momentum uncertainty?

The equation for position/momentum uncertainty is Δx * Δp ≥ h/4π, where Δx is the uncertainty in position, Δp is the uncertainty in momentum, and h is Planck's constant.

2. How do you calculate the uncertainty in position or momentum?

The uncertainty in position (Δx) can be calculated by taking the square root of the average of the squared deviations from the mean position. The uncertainty in momentum (Δp) can be calculated by taking the square root of the average of the squared deviations from the mean momentum.

3. What does the uncertainty principle state?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. The more accurately we know one quantity, the less accurately we can know the other.

4. How does the equation of motion for position/momentum uncertainty relate to the uncertainty principle?

The equation of motion for position/momentum uncertainty is a mathematical representation of the uncertainty principle. It shows that there is a minimum limit to how precisely we can know the position and momentum of a particle.

5. Are there any real-world applications for the equations of motion for position/momentum uncertainty?

Yes, the equations of motion for position/momentum uncertainty are used in a variety of fields such as quantum mechanics, particle physics, and nanotechnology. They help researchers understand the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level and make predictions about their movements and interactions.