Equations of motion from field action

In summary, an equation of motion is a mathematical representation that describes the relationship between an object's position, velocity, and acceleration over time. These equations are derived from field action, using principles like Newton's laws of motion, and can be applied to a variety of physical systems such as mechanical, electrical, and gravitational systems. The variables used in these equations typically include position, velocity, acceleration, time, and mass, with other variables such as force, energy, and momentum being included as needed. Equations of motion are essential in scientific research, helping to understand and predict the behavior of physical systems in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.
adartsesirhc

Homework Statement

Consider a massless supersymmetric particle (or superparticle) propagating in D-dimensional Minkowski space-time. It is described by D bosonic fields [tex]X^{\mu}(\tau)[/tex] and D Majorana fermions [tex]\psi^{\mu}(\tau).[/tex] The action is [tex]S_{0}=\int d\tau \left(\frac{1}{2}\dot{X}^\mu \dot{X}_{\mu} - i\psi^{\mu}\dot{\psi}_{\mu} \right).[/tex]

(i) Derive the field equations for [tex]X^{\mu}, \psi^{\mu}.[/tex]
(ii) Suppose that [tex]\delta_{1}[/tex] and [tex]\delta_{2}[/tex] are two infinitesimal supersymmetry transformations with parameters [tex]\epsilon_1[/tex] and [tex]\epsilon_2[/tex], respectively. Show that the commutator [tex][\delta_1, \delta_2][/tex] gives a [tex]\tau[/tex] translation by an amount [tex]\delta\tau[/tex]. Determine [tex]\delta\tau[/tex] and explain why [tex]\delta\tau[/tex] is real.

2. The attempt at a solution
I have no idea how to start part (ii) - what exactly are [tex]\delta_1, \delta_2[/tex]? Once I know what they are, should I explicitly calculate the commutator?

As for part (i), I don't know if my approach is correct. I split the action into a bosonic term and a fermionic one, then varied each individually using [tex]\X^\mu \to X^\mu + \delta X^\mu[/tex] and [tex]\psi^\mu \to \psi^\mu + \delta\psi^\mu[/tex].

For the bosonic term, I found:
[tex]\delta S_0 = \frac{1}{2}\int d\tau \left( 2\dot{X}^\mu \delta\dot{X}_\mu + \delta \dot{X}^\mu\delta\dot{X}_\mu \right) \to \ddot{X}^\mu = 0,[/tex]

And for the fermionic term,
[tex]\delta S_0 = -i\int d\tau \left( \psi^\mu \delta\dot{\psi}_\mu + \delta\psi^\mu \dot{\psi}_\mu + \delta\psi^\mu \delta\dot{\psi_\mu}\right).[/tex]

However, when I integrate by parts, the entire variation in the action vanishes, and I have no equations of motion. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I am happy to help you with your questions.

For part (ii), \delta_1 and \delta_2 are two infinitesimal supersymmetry transformations with parameters \epsilon_1 and \epsilon_2, respectively. In other words, they are transformations that involve small changes in the fields X^\mu and \psi^\mu. To find the commutator [\delta_1, \delta_2], you can explicitly calculate it using the definition of the commutator, which is [\delta_1, \delta_2] = \delta_1\delta_2 - \delta_2\delta_1. This will give you a new transformation, which in this case is a \tau translation. The value of \delta\tau and why it is real can be found by solving for the commutator and analyzing its properties.

For part (i), your approach is correct. However, when you integrate by parts in the fermionic term, make sure to keep track of the boundary terms. These boundary terms will contribute to the equations of motion and will not necessarily vanish. Also, remember that the variations \delta X^\mu and \delta\psi^\mu are independent, so you should vary each term separately and then combine them to get the full equation of motion.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is an equation of motion?

An equation of motion is a mathematical representation of the relationship between an object's position, velocity, and acceleration over time. It is used to describe the motion of objects in various physical systems.

How are equations of motion derived from field action?

Equations of motion are derived from field action through the use of mathematical models and principles such as Newton's laws of motion. These laws describe how objects interact with each other and with their surroundings, and can be used to derive equations that accurately predict the motion of objects in a given system.

What types of systems can equations of motion be applied to?

Equations of motion can be applied to a wide range of physical systems, including mechanical, electrical, and gravitational systems. They are used to describe the motion of objects, such as planets, particles, or molecules, in these systems.

What are the variables typically used in equations of motion?

The variables used in equations of motion depend on the specific system being described, but they often include position, velocity, acceleration, time, and mass. Other variables, such as force, energy, and momentum, may also be included depending on the complexity of the system.

How are equations of motion used in scientific research?

Equations of motion are used in scientific research to help understand and predict the behavior of physical systems. They are essential in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy, and are used to design experiments, analyze data, and make predictions about the motion of objects in various systems.