1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equations of motion from Lagrangian and metric

1. Mar 29, 2012 #1
    Disregard. I done figured it out.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find equations of motion for the metric:

[tex]ds^2 = dr^2 + r^2 d\phi^2[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]L = g_{ab} \dot{x}^a \dot{x}^b[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}^a} \right) = \frac{\partial L}{\partial x^a}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So I know to just cycle the free index in the lagrangian from r to phi to get the corresponding equations of motion, but my phi solution isn't coming out right. For r, I get

[tex]L = \dot{r}^2 + r^2 \dot{\phi}^2[/tex]

which gives

[tex]\ddot{r} - r\dot{\phi}^2 = 0.[/tex]

For phi, I get:

[tex]\frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\phi}} \right) = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi}[/tex]

which yields:

[tex] \frac{d}{dt}\left( 2r^2 \dot{\phi} \right) = 0[/tex]

The solution lists the other equation of motion as:

[tex]\ddot{\phi} + 2 \frac{\dot{r}}{r}\dot{\phi} = 0[/tex]

I'm having trouble bridging the last bit. If I apply the time differential operator on the dotted phi, I can see where the double dotted phi comes from, but does that mean I have to do some kind of wacky product rule business on the r as well?

edit: got it, nevermind. For those who google this years from now and hate how people always say they got it without showing how they got it, here's the step I was too tired to see:

[tex] \frac{d}{dt}\left( 2r^2 \dot{\phi} \right) = 0[/tex]

apply product rule

[tex] 2r^2 \ddot{\phi} + 4 r \dot{r} \dot{\phi} = 0[/tex]

divide by [tex]2r^2[/tex]

gives

[tex]\ddot{\phi} + 2 \frac{\dot{r}}{r} \dot{\phi} = 0 [/tex]

Just goes to show if you stare at it long enough it can come to you. Plus making lengthy tex-based posts on PP can help flesh out whatever misunderstandings you may have!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted