Equations of motion from Lagrangian and metric

In summary, the equations of motion for the given metric are \ddot{r} - r\dot{\phi}^2 = 0 and \ddot{\phi} + 2 \frac{\dot{r}}{r}\dot{\phi} = 0.
Ai52487963
Disregard. I done figured it out.

Homework Statement

Find equations of motion for the metric:

[tex]ds^2 = dr^2 + r^2 d\phi^2[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]L = g_{ab} \dot{x}^a \dot{x}^b[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}^a} \right) = \frac{\partial L}{\partial x^a}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know to just cycle the free index in the lagrangian from r to phi to get the corresponding equations of motion, but my phi solution isn't coming out right. For r, I get

[tex]L = \dot{r}^2 + r^2 \dot{\phi}^2[/tex]

which gives

[tex]\ddot{r} - r\dot{\phi}^2 = 0.[/tex]

For phi, I get:

[tex]\frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\phi}} \right) = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi}[/tex]which yields:

[tex] \frac{d}{dt}\left( 2r^2 \dot{\phi} \right) = 0[/tex]

The solution lists the other equation of motion as:

[tex]\ddot{\phi} + 2 \frac{\dot{r}}{r}\dot{\phi} = 0[/tex]

I'm having trouble bridging the last bit. If I apply the time differential operator on the dotted phi, I can see where the double dotted phi comes from, but does that mean I have to do some kind of wacky product rule business on the r as well?edit: got it, nevermind. For those who google this years from now and hate how people always say they got it without showing how they got it, here's the step I was too tired to see:[tex] \frac{d}{dt}\left( 2r^2 \dot{\phi} \right) = 0[/tex]

apply product rule

[tex] 2r^2 \ddot{\phi} + 4 r \dot{r} \dot{\phi} = 0[/tex]

divide by [tex]2r^2[/tex]

gives

[tex]\ddot{\phi} + 2 \frac{\dot{r}}{r} \dot{\phi} = 0 [/tex]

Just goes to show if you stare at it long enough it can come to you. Plus making lengthy tex-based posts on PP can help flesh out whatever misunderstandings you may have!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Great job figuring out the solution! It's always helpful to take a step back and break down the equations to see where each term comes from. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the Lagrangian and how is it related to equations of motion?

The Lagrangian is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a system. It is used in the Lagrangian formalism, which is an alternative approach to classical mechanics that is based on the principles of least action. The equations of motion can be derived from the Lagrangian by applying the Euler-Lagrange equations.

2. How does the metric affect the equations of motion?

The metric is a mathematical object that describes the geometry of a space-time. In the context of equations of motion, the metric is used to define the concept of distance and time, which are crucial for understanding the dynamics of a system. The metric also plays a role in determining the geodesic paths that particles follow in a curved space-time.

3. Can the Lagrangian and metric be used for any type of system?

Yes, the Lagrangian and metric can be used for any type of system, whether it is classical or quantum. The Lagrangian formalism is a general approach to describing the dynamics of a system, and the metric is a fundamental concept in both classical and quantum mechanics. However, the specific equations of motion and their solutions may differ depending on the type of system being studied.

4. How are the equations of motion from Lagrangian and metric different from Newton's laws of motion?

The equations of motion from Lagrangian and metric can be seen as a more general and powerful version of Newton's laws of motion. While Newton's laws are limited to describing the dynamics of point particles in an inertial reference frame, the equations of motion from Lagrangian and metric can be applied to describe the behavior of any type of system, including those in non-inertial reference frames and with complex geometries.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Lagrangian and metric to derive equations of motion?

While the Lagrangian and metric provide a powerful and elegant approach to understanding the dynamics of a system, there are certain limitations. The Lagrangian formalism is based on the principle of least action, which may not always be applicable to all physical systems. Additionally, the equations of motion from Lagrangian and metric may be difficult to solve for complex systems, requiring numerical or computational methods.