Why is the -0.5 term irrelevant in solving equations of motion?

In summary, the problem involves an air track glider with a velocity of 1.5 m/s up the track and an acceleration of 2 m/s² down the track. The goal is to find the time at which it is 1 m below its starting point. Using the equation for displacement, s = ut + 0.5at², the time is found to be either 2 seconds or -0.5 seconds. However, since negative time is not possible, the answer is t = 2 seconds. This method is in accordance with Newtonian mechanics principles.
Andy21

Homework Statement

An air track glider is placed on a linear air-track which is slightly tilted. It is given a velocity of 1.5 metres per second up the track. If its acceleration is 2 metres per second squared down the track, find the time at which it is 1m below its starting point.

Please explain how to solve this problem. Thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

s=(u+v)/2 xt

1= (1.5+v)/2 x t

t=1-(1.5+v)/2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
try using the equation final position= initial position + (initial velocity)(time) +1/2(acceleration)(time)^2. also try making the final position negative because it is below the starting point

Thanks for the help. I have got to t+1/t=1.5
Can you help me from here to find t.

if i did the problem, it would become -1m= 0m + 1.5t + (1/2)2t^2. by moving the -1 over to the other side, i would use the quadratic formula dueto the equation becoming, t^2 +1.5t+1. (i just re-arranged it after moving the one over.

I have tried to use the quadratic formula but there is a negative discriminant so so it won't work. Are there other ways to solve the equation?

i see. the acceleration is negative. i did not see that. so the equation should be -(t)^2 +1.5t +1 . quadratic should give you two answers, one of which should work.

Andy21 said:
I have tried to use the quadratic formula but there is a negative discriminant so so it won't work. Are there other ways to solve the equation?

Hi, if my understanding towards your question is correct, that the initial velocity of the glider is 1.5 m s-1 upwards, acceleration is 2 ms-2 downwards, and that you need to find the time at which displacement is 1m downwards,

then I'll be using the same method as jmb88korean:

s = ut + 0.5at2

1 = 1.5t + 0.5(2)t2
t2 - 1.5t -1 = 0
t = ( -(-)1.5 +/- root(1.52 + 4)) / 2
t = 2 or -0.5

Since by convention, there is no such thing is negative t, we take t = 2.

I calculated the same answers as Ambidext when I did the problem.

Thankyou jmb88korean and Ambidext for the help, I agree that t=2 is the answer.

Actually, mathematically, we know how to omit -0.5.

Can anyone explain though, why, in Newtonian mechanics concept, WHY the -0.5 is irrelevant?

What is an equation of motion problem?

An equation of motion problem is a physics problem that involves finding the relationship between an object's displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time. It is used to predict the motion of an object based on these variables.

What are the three main equations of motion?

The three main equations of motion are:

1. Displacement (x) = Initial velocity (v0) * Time (t) + 1/2 * Acceleration (a) * Time (t)2
  2. Final velocity (v) = Initial velocity (v0) + Acceleration (a) * Time (t)
  3. Displacement (x) = (Final velocity (v) + Initial velocity (v0)) / 2 * Time (t)

What are the key variables in an equation of motion problem?

The key variables in an equation of motion problem are displacement (x), velocity (v), acceleration (a), and time (t). These variables are related by the three main equations of motion and can be used to solve for each other.

What are some common types of equations of motion problems?

Some common types of equations of motion problems include finding the displacement, velocity, or acceleration of an object at a given time, finding the time it takes for an object to reach a certain velocity or displacement, and finding the maximum height or range of a projectile.

How do you solve an equation of motion problem?

To solve an equation of motion problem, you first need to identify the given variables and what you are trying to solve for. Then, you can use the three main equations of motion to set up and solve for the unknown variable. It is important to pay attention to units and use the correct formula for the given scenario.