1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equations of Motion

1. Aug 25, 2006 #1
    If for the "geodesic" equation of motion we have the compact form:

[tex] \nabla _ u u =0 [/tex] usign the "Covariant derivative"... as a generalization of Newton equation with F=0 (no force or potential) [tex] \frac{du}{ds}=0 [/tex] where "u" is the 4-dimensional momentum...

My question is if we can put the Equation of motion [tex] \R _\mu \nu =0 [/tex] as the "LIe derivative" or " Covariant derivative" or another Tensor, vector or similar involving the "momentum density" [tex] \pi _a b [/tex] and the metric elements [tex] g_ ab [/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2006 #2

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If the mass (invariant mass) is a constant, just multiply thorugh by m, and you have the covariant derivative of the energy-momentum 4 vector being 0.

I.e
    [tex]\nabla_u u = 0 \Rightarrow \nabla_u (m u) = 0 \Rightarrow \nabla_u P = 0[/tex]

In component notation
    [tex]
    \nabla_u P^i = u^j \nabla_j P^i = 0
    [/tex]

which makes it clear this gives 4 equations, one for each component of the energy-momentum 4-vector.

The notation for the covariant derivative [itex]\nabla_a[/itex] seems funny at first, but it's extremely useful. Lets say we have a scalar quantity x, and we want to find how fast it changes with time. With an ordinary derivative operator, we write dx/dt. With the covariant derivative operator, one writes [itex]\nabla_t x = t^a \nabla_a x[/itex], where t is a unit vector in the time direction. The covariant derivative operator actually generates a vector from the scalar. One must take the dot product of this vector with the direction one desires the derivative in order to get a scalar quantity. The reason for not doing a contraction automatically is that it can be ambiguous. Sometimes one sees the contracted covariant derivative written with a capital D to make the notation more simlar, but the math is the same.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
  4. Aug 26, 2006 #3
    -Thank you..by the way if we have the Lagrangian [tex] L= \sqrt (-g) R [/tex]

can you split the Lagrangian into a "Kinetic" and a "potential" part?..

- And What would be the "Euler-Lagrange" equation for Einstein Lagrangian?..i think you have:

[tex] \sum_{i=1,2,3,0} \partial _ {x_i }( \frac{ \partial L}{ \partial g_ab} - \frac{ \partial L}{ \partial g_ab} [/tex] or something similar.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?