1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equations of Motion

1. Mar 23, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Please see the attached picture for the problem description. Now, I have a solution using the Lagrange method, (it should coincide with Newton's second law, I believe?) I just have a hard time getting my equations of motion to match.

2. Relevant equations
    ∑Fext - M dv/dt = 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    For mass Mo I have
    K(x2 - x1) = Mo*x1'' x (where mass Mo moves a distance x1 and mass M moves a distance x2) which agrees with the Lagrange solution

I have trouble matching the remaining equations. For the rolling mass m, I have the external forces as -mg (y-dir) and FN (y'-dir) where x' and y' are at an angle θ depending on the location of the rolling mass.

Then my equation of motion is -mg y + N y' = m[x'' x + (R-r)θ'' y' - (R-r)θ'2 x']

Now I realize that I need to organize everything into the x-y or x'-y' plane but when I do the solution doesn't match; do you see anything that I'm missing?

Finally for mass M

∑Fext = -mg y - K(x2 - x1) x
    My professor typically neglects gravity and normal forces acting on carts, so I don't include them here. But I feel like I'm neglecting a force. Should I include the momentum of the rolling mass with the external forces acting on M? Because setting what I have = M*x2'' x doesn't match, and I feel like I'm over-simplifying the problem.

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No attached picture.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted