1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equations of Motion

1. Nov 19, 2015 #1

Zondrina

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the analogous electrical circuit for the following mass spring damper system.

Screen Shot 2015-11-19 at 7.47.55 PM.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am rusty with writing equations of motion. I wanted to see if someone could check my work.

Looking at the diagram, there are three equations to write. Also there should be a third displacement variable, call it ##x_3##, between ##k_3## and ##b##. Assume down is positive.

For mass ##m_1##:

$$m_1x'' = -k_1x_1 + k_2(x_2 - x_1) + k_3(x_3 - x_1) + b(x_2' - x_3') + p(t)$$

For mass ##m_2##:

$$m_2x'' = -k_2(x_2 - x_1) - b(x_2' - x_3') - k_3(x_3 - x_1)$$

At the node in between the damper and spring:

$$0 = -k_3(x_3 - x_1) + b(x_2' - x_3')$$

Do these look okay?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You do realize that you can draw an analogous electrical circuit for the mechanical system without writing and solving the differential equations, right?

4. Nov 20, 2015 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Yes this is possible, but I was hoping to understand how to write the equations of motion anyway. It would be nice to know how to write them for a more complicated system, so I would still like to know if I've done that properly.

I'll give your idea a try though. Here is my attempt:

724aff635db084cf0a586208cb8528bc.png

The battery on the far right corresponds to ##p(t)##.

5. Nov 20, 2015 #4

gneill

Yes, your figure looks okay to me. You've chosen the Force ⇒ Voltage paradigm. You could also have used the Force ⇒ Current paradigm where masses become capacitors rather than inductors.

For your equations, at a glance they look fine except I don't see where you've accounted for gravity acting on the masses.

6. Nov 20, 2015 #5

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Okay.

Yeah I find this weird because in my textbook they never seem to account for the force of gravity on a mass.

They compensate for this by making a substitution like so:

Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 10.01.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 10.01.13 AM.png

7. Nov 20, 2015 #6

gneill

Ah, I see. Yes, that substitution works and makes the math simpler. Of course, to match the model's predicted position to a real-world position one would need to know the equilibrium position's offset in real-world coordinates.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted