Finding Analagous Electric Circuit for Mass Spring Damper System Homework

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an analogous electrical circuit for a mass-spring-damper system. The equations of motion for the system are written, but it is suggested that a circuit can be drawn instead of solving the differential equations. The equations appear to be correct, but do not account for gravity. A substitution is suggested to simplify the equations.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Find the analogous electrical circuit for the following mass spring damper system.

Screen Shot 2015-11-19 at 7.47.55 PM.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am rusty with writing equations of motion. I wanted to see if someone could check my work.

Looking at the diagram, there are three equations to write. Also there should be a third displacement variable, call it ##x_3##, between ##k_3## and ##b##. Assume down is positive.

For mass ##m_1##:

$$m_1x'' = -k_1x_1 + k_2(x_2 - x_1) + k_3(x_3 - x_1) + b(x_2' - x_3') + p(t)$$

For mass ##m_2##:

$$m_2x'' = -k_2(x_2 - x_1) - b(x_2' - x_3') - k_3(x_3 - x_1)$$

At the node in between the damper and spring:

$$0 = -k_3(x_3 - x_1) + b(x_2' - x_3')$$

Do these look okay?

Physics news on Phys.org
You do realize that you can draw an analogous electrical circuit for the mechanical system without writing and solving the differential equations, right?

Likes whitsona
gneill said:
You do realize that you can draw an analogous electrical circuit for the mechanical system without writing and solving the differential equations, right?

Yes this is possible, but I was hoping to understand how to write the equations of motion anyway. It would be nice to know how to write them for a more complicated system, so I would still like to know if I've done that properly.

I'll give your idea a try though. Here is my attempt:

724aff635db084cf0a586208cb8528bc.png

The battery on the far right corresponds to ##p(t)##.

Yes, your figure looks okay to me. You've chosen the Force ⇒ Voltage paradigm. You could also have used the Force ⇒ Current paradigm where masses become capacitors rather than inductors.

For your equations, at a glance they look fine except I don't see where you've accounted for gravity acting on the masses.

gneill said:
Yes, your figure looks okay to me. You've chosen the Force ⇒ Voltage paradigm. You could also have used the Force ⇒ Current paradigm where masses become capacitors rather than inductors.

Okay.

gneill said:
For your equations, at a glance they look fine except I don't see where you've accounted for gravity acting on the masses.

Yeah I find this weird because in my textbook they never seem to account for the force of gravity on a mass.

They compensate for this by making a substitution like so:

Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 10.01.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 10.01.13 AM.png

Ah, I see. Yes, that substitution works and makes the math simpler. Of course, to match the model's predicted position to a real-world position one would need to know the equilibrium position's offset in real-world coordinates.

1. What is a mass spring damper system?

A mass spring damper system is a mechanical system that consists of a mass (such as a weight), a spring, and a damper (such as a shock absorber). This system is commonly used in engineering and physics to model the behavior of various physical systems, such as a car's suspension or a building's response to earthquakes.

2. Why is finding analogous electric circuit for a mass spring damper system important?

Finding an analogous electric circuit for a mass spring damper system allows us to use the principles of electrical circuits to analyze and understand the behavior of mechanical systems. This can be especially useful when designing and troubleshooting complex systems, as the mathematical tools and techniques used in electrical circuits are often more straightforward and easier to work with.

3. How do you go about finding an analogous electric circuit for a mass spring damper system?

To find an analogous electric circuit for a mass spring damper system, we first need to identify the equivalent electrical quantities for the mechanical system. The mass in the mechanical system corresponds to the inductance in the electrical circuit, the spring corresponds to the capacitance, and the damper corresponds to the resistance. Once we have identified these equivalents, we can use the laws and equations of electrical circuits to analyze the behavior of the mechanical system.

4. What are some common applications of finding analogous electric circuit for a mass spring damper system?

One common application of finding analogous electric circuit for a mass spring damper system is in the field of control systems. By representing a mechanical system as an electrical circuit, we can design and analyze control systems using tools and techniques from electrical engineering. Another application is in the field of vibration analysis, where finding an analogous electric circuit allows us to predict and control the vibrations of mechanical systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using an analogous electric circuit for a mass spring damper system?

While finding an analogous electric circuit can be a useful tool, it is important to note that it is not a perfect representation of the mechanical system. There are some limitations, such as the inability to account for nonlinearities or complex dynamics, which may affect the accuracy of the analysis. Additionally, the electrical components used in the circuit may not have exact mechanical equivalents, leading to some discrepancies in the results.