Equations of Tangents for x^2+(y-4)^2=4 Passing Through the Origin

• Thread starter Oerg
  • Start date
In summary, Homework Statement states that there are two tangent lines that pass through the origin of the equation x^2+(y-4)^2=4. Differentiating implicitly yields x^2+2(y-4)dy/dx=-8.
Oerg

Homework Statement

Find the equations of the tangents of the equation [tex] x^2+(y-4)^2=4[/tex] that pass through the origin.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I don't know if I am overcomplicating this (takes a deep breath):

The equation of tangent that pass through the origin has the form
[tex]y=mx[/tex]
And the derivative of the curve is given by
[tex] \frac{dx}{dy}=\frac{1}{2}(4-(y-4)^2)^\frac{-1}{2}(2y+8)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{2x}{2y+8}[/tex]
Then equate m=dy/dx and y=mx into the equation of the curve

Here is where it gets really confusing and where I start to doubt my workings.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, first of all though not strictly necessary, do note that the graph of the equation is actually a circle of radius 2 centred at (0,4). Once you get that, you should be able to visualise intuitively that because the circle is centred on y-axis, there should be only 2 tangent lines to the circle that passes through the origin.

I don't think your working for dy/dx is correct. Differentiate the equation implicitly, don't bother expressing everything in terms of one variable x or y only. Then you'll be able to do the question easily.

ok so i get

[tex] 2x+2\frac{dy}{dx}-8\frac{dy}{dx}=0[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{3}x[/tex]

and then the curve becomes

[tex] x^2+\frac{1}{9}x^2-\frac{8}{3}x+12=0[/tex]

so i solve for x which gives me the intercepts and i can solve for m is this correct?

Actually impressively I believe his equation for dy/dx is almost right, or I screwed it up(possible!)

if you do it implicity, you get 2x+2(y-4)dy/dx=0? so dy/dx=-2x/(2y-8)

Unless I interpret this wrong though, that means the slope of the tangent lines at the origin is 0, which is obviously not the case, so I think I suck
Edit: You slipped your post in before mine

I believe the error you made is that the derivative of y(x)^2 is 2y*dy/dx, not just 2*dy/dx. With that in mind I think you get the same thing I did

Last edited:
Um no. Differentiating implicitly yields
[tex]2x + 2(y-4) \frac{dy}{dx} = 0[/tex]
Treat y as a function of x, and remember you are differentiating implicitly with respect to x.

EDIT: Latex doesn't seem to be displaying the equation correctly. Blochwave's answer is correct.

Last edited:
ugh scrap that careless mistakes

so differentiating implicity yields

[tex]2x+2y\frac{dy}{dx}-8\frac{dy}{dx}=0[/tex]

hey i think i get back the same derivative as my OP

Where did you get [tex]2y\frac{dy}{dx} - 8\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] from?

Implicit differentiation should give [tex]2x + 2(y-4) \frac{dy}{dx} = 0[/tex] instead. You're using the chain rule here.

He's right, he just skipped the chain rule and multiplied out that binomial squared

if you factor out the dy/dx you get yours, and mine, answer

Oh yeah. Sheesh. Stupid mistake.

ok so i substitute the derivative and I have this ugly monster

[tex]x^2+(\frac{2x^2}{2y+8})^2-8(\frac{2x^2}{2y+8})+12=0[/tex]

I have no idea how to simplfiy this, which was why I thought my answer was wrong

How did you get that equation? You substituted the derivative dy/dx into where?

1. What is the equation of a tangent line?

The equation of a tangent line is a linear equation that represents a line that touches a curve at a specific point, known as the point of tangency. It is given by the formula y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the tangent line and b is the y-intercept.

2. How do you find the equation of a tangent line?

To find the equation of a tangent line, you first need to find the slope of the tangent line at the point of tangency. This can be done by taking the derivative of the curve at that point. Once you have the slope, you can plug it into the equation y = mx + b along with the coordinates of the point of tangency to solve for the y-intercept.

3. What information do you need to find the equation of a tangent line?

To find the equation of a tangent line, you need to know the coordinates of the point of tangency and the slope of the tangent line at that point. You can also use the derivative of the curve at the point of tangency to find the slope.

4. Can a line have more than one tangent line?

No, a line can only have one tangent line at a specific point. This is because a tangent line is defined as a line that touches a curve at a single point without crossing over or intersecting the curve at any other point.

5. What is the relationship between a tangent line and the curve it touches?

A tangent line and the curve it touches have a perpendicular relationship. This means that the tangent line is perpendicular to the curve at the point of tangency, and therefore, the slopes of the tangent line and the curve at that point are negative reciprocals of each other.