1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equations of tangents

1. Jan 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the equations of the tangents of the equation [tex] x^2+(y-4)^2=4[/tex] that pass through the origin.

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, I don't know if im overcomplicating this (takes a deep breath):

The equation of tangent that pass through the origin has the form
    And the derivative of the curve is given by
    [tex] \frac{dx}{dy}=\frac{1}{2}(4-(y-4)^2)^\frac{-1}{2}(2y+8)[/tex]
    Then equate m=dy/dx and y=mx into the equation of the curve

Here is where it gets really confusing and where I start to doubt my workings.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Well, first of all though not strictly necessary, do note that the graph of the equation is actually a circle of radius 2 centred at (0,4). Once you get that, you should be able to visualise intuitively that because the circle is centred on y-axis, there should be only 2 tangent lines to the circle that passes through the origin.

I don't think your working for dy/dx is correct. Differentiate the equation implicitly, don't bother expressing everything in terms of one variable x or y only. Then you'll be able to do the question easily.
  4. Jan 7, 2008 #3
    ok so i get

[tex] 2x+2\frac{dy}{dx}-8\frac{dy}{dx}=0[/tex]

and then the curve becomes

[tex] x^2+\frac{1}{9}x^2-\frac{8}{3}x+12=0[/tex]

so i solve for x which gives me the intercepts and i can solve for m is this correct?
  5. Jan 7, 2008 #4
    Actually impressively I believe his equation for dy/dx is almost right, or I screwed it up(possible!)

if you do it implicity, you get 2x+2(y-4)dy/dx=0? so dy/dx=-2x/(2y-8)

Unless I interpret this wrong though, that means the slope of the tangent lines at the origin is 0, which is obviously not the case, so I think I suck
    Edit: You slipped your post in before mine

I believe the error you made is that the derivative of y(x)^2 is 2y*dy/dx, not just 2*dy/dx. With that in mind I think you get the same thing I did
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  6. Jan 7, 2008 #5

Homework Helper

Um no. Differentiating implicitly yields
    [tex]2x + 2(y-4) \frac{dy}{dx} = 0[/tex]
    Treat y as a function of x, and remember you are differentiating implicitly with respect to x.

EDIT: Latex doesn't seem to be displaying the equation correctly. Blochwave's answer is correct.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  7. Jan 7, 2008 #6
    ugh scrap that careless mistakes

so differentiating implicity yields

hey i think i get back the same derivative as my OP
  8. Jan 7, 2008 #7

Homework Helper

Where did you get [tex]2y\frac{dy}{dx} - 8\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] from?

Implicit differentiation should give [tex]2x + 2(y-4) \frac{dy}{dx} = 0[/tex] instead. You're using the chain rule here.
  9. Jan 7, 2008 #8
    He's right, he just skipped the chain rule and multiplied out that binomial squared

if you factor out the dy/dx you get yours, and mine, answer
  10. Jan 7, 2008 #9

Homework Helper

Oh yeah. Sheesh. Stupid mistake.
  11. Jan 7, 2008 #10
    ok so i substitute the derivative and I have this ugly monster

I have no idea how to simplfiy this, which was why I thought my answer was wrong
  12. Jan 8, 2008 #11

Homework Helper

How did you get that equation? You substituted the derivative dy/dx into where?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?