Why would someone decorate their mausoleum with complex equations and symbols?

• Thread starter MSFerguson
  • Start date
In summary, a conversation discussing the equations on a mausoleum in Wheaton, Illinois reveals that they are likely meaningless and the work of a person who may have had a fascination with physics without actually understanding it. The equations include variations of Schrodinger's wave equation and the Heaviside-Maxwell wave equation, as well as a graph and symbols related to Quadrature Phase Shift Keying and sacred geometry. Some speculate that the equations may be referencing a belief in magnetic monopoles, but ultimately they are considered to be nonsense. The individual who created the equations may have been a rich person with a superficial interest in physics or a deluded individual.
MSFerguson
Why would a guy in Wheaton, Illinois put these two equations on his mausoleum?

[itex]\nabla[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\psi[/itex]+8p[itex]^{2}[/itex]m(E-U)[itex]\psi[/itex][itex]\int[/itex]h[itex]^{2}[/itex]=0

[itex]\nabla[/itex][itex]_{0}[/itex][itex]\beta[/itex]=[itex]\sigma[/itex]

The first equation looks to be a variation of Schrodinger's wave equation.

The second looks like a Heaviside-Maxwell wave equation.

Any ideas?

The guy also put a Cartesian polar coordinates graph showing Quadrature Phase Shift Keying, some sacred geometry Greek characters, and the solar system in grand conjunction (with a flying saucer near Neptune).

Physics news on Phys.org
Could have has just been a crackpot who believed in some pseudoscience involving UFOS/mysticism?

Those equations look rather meaningless to me. Do you have a picture and are you sure you copied them correctly?

I've attached images. I've had someone speculate that the equations could be trying to show that a magnetic monopole can exist. Also, there's a large 'Schumann' engraved on the mausoleum, which must refer to Schumann resonance.

Attachments

• picture4.jpg
    picture4.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 503
  • picture3.jpg
    picture3.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 398
  • picture7.jpg
    picture7.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 409
Last edited by a moderator:
MSFerguson said:
I've attached images. I've had someone speculate that the equations could be trying to show that a magnetic monopole can exist. Also, there's a large 'Schumann' engraved on the mausoleum, which must refer to Schumann resonance.

Not his name? I don't know, but honestly it seems like mostly nonsense to me. What makes you think it refers to magnetic monopoles, and what has that got to do with astronomy?

I'd say this part clinches the case here:

[tex]\int h^2[/tex]

This expression is meaningless as there is no variable of integration. There are lots of possibilities as to why this was put there. Could be anywhere between "looks cool" and a strange belief in the mystical power of certain equations. Either way, the equation, as written, is nonsense.

Chalnoth said:
I'd say this part clinches the case here:

[tex]\int h^2[/tex]

This expression is meaningless as there is no variable of integration. There are lots of possibilities as to why this was put there. Could be anywhere between "looks cool" and a strange belief in the mystical power of certain equations. Either way, the equation, as written, is nonsense.

Yea that's pretty much what my impression is. A rich guy who liked the style of physics without actually learning any of it. Similar to someone who can't speak or read Chinese getting a Chinese letter tattoo. Also I've never seen an equation that had any physical meaning that relates a 2nd order derivative to an integral (especially a meaningless one).

Interesting information, is this mausoleum or grave entry listed on Find A Grave? If so can you supply the memorial number or the name of the person in the Wheaton Cemetery. My reason for interest is that I have a website that list community and unusually mausoleums in the U.S.
Regards,
David in Wichita

Perhaps he was a pretentious fool, or a deluded nutcase?

1. Why do some people decorate their mausoleum with complex equations and symbols?

There are a few reasons why someone might choose to decorate their mausoleum with complex equations and symbols. Some people may have a background in mathematics or science and want to showcase their interests and passions. Others may view these decorations as a way to honor their legacy and leave a lasting impression on visitors. Additionally, certain equations and symbols may hold personal significance to the individual or their family.

2. Is there a specific meaning behind the equations and symbols chosen for the mausoleum decorations?

It is possible that the equations and symbols chosen for the mausoleum decorations have a specific meaning to the individual or their family. However, it is also possible that they are simply chosen for their aesthetic appeal or to represent the individual's interests and passions.

3. Are the equations and symbols on the mausoleum accurate and meaningful?

It is difficult to determine the accuracy and meaning of the equations and symbols without knowing the specific context and intentions of the individual who chose them. However, it is important to keep in mind that these decorations are often chosen for personal reasons and may not necessarily hold significance to anyone outside of the individual or their family.

4. Do these decorations serve a practical purpose, or are they purely decorative?

In most cases, the equations and symbols on a mausoleum serve a purely decorative purpose. However, it is possible that they may also hold practical significance, such as representing a scientific or mathematical achievement of the individual.

5. Are there any cultural or religious reasons for decorating a mausoleum with equations and symbols?

In some cultures and religions, decorating a mausoleum with equations and symbols may hold a deeper meaning. For example, some ancient civilizations believed that certain symbols and equations held mystical powers and could protect the deceased in the afterlife. However, in modern times, these decorations are more commonly chosen for personal or aesthetic reasons rather than for any specific cultural or religious significance.