Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equations on a Mausoleum

1. May 31, 2012 #1
    Why would a guy in Wheaton, Illinois put these two equations on his mausoleum?

[itex]\nabla[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\psi[/itex]+8p[itex]^{2}[/itex]m(E-U)[itex]\psi[/itex][itex]\int[/itex]h[itex]^{2}[/itex]=0

[itex]\nabla[/itex][itex]_{0}[/itex][itex]\beta[/itex]=[itex]\sigma[/itex]

The first equation looks to be a variation of Schrodinger's wave equation.

The second looks like a Heaviside-Maxwell wave equation.

Any ideas?

The guy also put a Cartesian polar coordinates graph showing Quadrature Phase Shift Keying, some sacred geometry Greek characters, and the solar system in grand conjunction (with a flying saucer near Neptune).

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2012 #2
    Could have has just been a crackpot who believed in some pseudoscience involving UFOS/mysticism?

Those equations look rather meaningless to me. Do you have a picture and are you sure you copied them correctly?

4. May 31, 2012 #3
    I've attached images. I've had someone speculate that the equations could be trying to show that a magnetic monopole can exist. Also, there's a large 'Schumann' engraved on the mausoleum, which must refer to Schumann resonance.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2012
  5. May 31, 2012 #4
    Not his name? I don't know, but honestly it seems like mostly nonsense to me. What makes you think it refers to magnetic monopoles, and what has that got to do with astronomy?

6. Jun 1, 2012 #5

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

I'd say this part clinches the case here:

[tex]\int h^2[/tex]

This expression is meaningless as there is no variable of integration. There are lots of possibilities as to why this was put there. Could be anywhere between "looks cool" and a strange belief in the mystical power of certain equations. Either way, the equation, as written, is nonsense.

7. Jun 1, 2012 #6
    Yea that's pretty much what my impression is. A rich guy who liked the style of physics without actually learning any of it. Similar to someone who can't speak or read Chinese getting a Chinese letter tattoo. Also I've never seen an equation that had any physical meaning that relates a 2nd order derivative to an integral (especially a meaningless one).

8. Jun 5, 2012 #7
    Interesting information, is this mausoleum or grave entry listed on Find A Grave? If so can you supply the memorial number or the name of the person in the Wheaton Cemetery. My reason for interest is that I have a web site that list community and unusually mausoleums in the U.S.
    Regards,
    David in Wichita

9. Jun 10, 2012 #8
    Perhaps he was a pretentious fool, or a deluded nutcase?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook