Equations to be solved in a FE solver

• Thread starter sunny110
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various types of analysis, such as linear static, nonlinear, dynamic, crash, CFD, and NVH. It also mentions the finite element method and asks for references for further study on the topic.
sunny110
Hello; I have a basic question from FEA theory.
What are the basic equations solved during ..
a. Linear Static Analysis
b. Nonlinear analysis
b. Dynamic Analysis
c. Crash analysis
d. CFD
e. NVH

I also have a look at a wikipedia article about FEM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finite_element_method) but my question is what is the basic equation solved during NVH analysis?

As you know, in linear static analysis the basic equation is Kd=f; or for modal analysis we have M*ddot(x)+ K*x=0;

Thanks in advance.
_

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You have asked for a pretty wide scope of information. It's like asking someone to list every equation used in physics in a blog post.

In some of the topics you list, there may be more than one equation or type of equation which is being solved.

The finite element method is a tool. If you want to know what equations apply to what topic (CFD, NVH, etc.), then study that particular subject in more detail.

SteamKing said:
If you want to know what equations apply to what topic (CFD, NVH, etc.), then study that particular subject in more detail.

Thanks for your reply. I followe your advice but could you introduce me some fundamental references?

sunny110 said:
Thanks for your reply. I followe your advice but could you introduce me some fundamental references?

You could take a look at the references at the end of the wikipedia article on the Finite Element Method. It should be a good starting point.

1. What is a FE solver?

A FE solver, or Finite Element solver, is a computational tool used to solve equations that describe physical systems. It is commonly used in engineering and scientific fields to analyze and predict the behavior of structures, fluids, and other systems.

2. What types of equations can be solved with a FE solver?

A FE solver can solve a wide range of equations, including differential equations, partial differential equations, and integral equations. These equations can describe a variety of physical phenomena, such as stress and strain in a structure, fluid flow, and heat transfer.

3. How does a FE solver work?

A FE solver works by dividing a complex physical system into smaller, simpler elements. These elements are connected at specific points called nodes, and the equations governing each element are solved at these nodes. The solutions at each node are then combined to obtain a solution for the entire system.

4. What are the advantages of using a FE solver?

There are several advantages to using a FE solver. It allows for the analysis of complex systems with irregular geometries, making it more versatile than traditional analytical methods. It also provides accurate and detailed results, making it a valuable tool for design and optimization.

5. Are there any limitations to using a FE solver?

While powerful, FE solvers do have some limitations. They require significant computational resources and can be time-consuming to set up and run. They also rely on accurate input data and assumptions, so the results may not be entirely accurate if these are not met. Additionally, FE solvers may not be suitable for all types of equations and systems, so it is important to carefully consider the problem at hand before using one.