Is the Order of Bras and Kets Important in Equations?

• Thread starter dyn
  • Start date
In summary, the order of bras and kets matters when rearranging equations unless they form an inner product. In the provided example, the bra <v| can be moved from the end to the start because it forms an inner product. The first step is the definition of the trace of a linear operator and the statement is correct that the order of bras and kets can only be rearranged if they form an inner product. Moving them around can result in an entirely different object.
dyn
When re-arranging equations with bras and kets I was under the impression that the order of the bras and kets had to be maintained unless they formed an inner product ie. just a complex number in which case they could be moved around ? Is this the case ? As I am confused about the following equation I found
Tr |u><u|v><v| = <v|u><u|v>
In this example the bra <v| seems to have jumped from the end to the start.

Physics news on Phys.org
$$\operatorname{Tr}|u\rangle\langle u|v\rangle\langle v| =\sum_i \langle i|u\rangle\langle u|v\rangle\langle v|i\rangle = \sum_i \langle u|v\rangle\langle v|i\rangle\langle i|u\rangle = \langle u|v\rangle\langle v|\bigg(\sum_i |i\rangle\langle i\bigg)|u\rangle =\langle u|v\rangle\langle v|u\rangle$$

Thanks for that but I'm confused about the first step. At first I thought I was the imaginary number but it looks like an integer you are summing over but I don't understand how it can be brought into the equation.

dyn said:
Thanks for that but I'm confused about the first step. At first I thought I was the imaginary number but it looks like an integer you are summing over but I don't understand how it can be brought into the equation.
Sorry about that. Yes, it's an integer. I should at least have started with this statement: Let ##\{|i\rangle\}_{i=1}^\infty## be any orthonormal basis.

If the Hilbert space is finite-dimensional, replace ##\infty## with ##\dim\mathcal H## (where ##\mathcal H## denotes the Hilbert space). The first step in that calculation is just the definition of the trace of a linear operator.

You may want to also take a look at https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=694922 about the relationship between linear operators and matrices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I understand it now. Could you just confirm for me that my original statement is correct , ie the order of bras and kets does matter and they can only be rearranged in order if they form an inner product ?

Yes, it's correct. If you move them around, you may end up with an entirely different object than the one you started with, as in this case, where |u><u|v><v| is a linear operator and <u|v><v|u> is a number.

Likes 1 person

1. What are bras and kets in the context of equations?

Bras and kets are mathematical notations used in quantum mechanics to represent vectors and linear operators. Bras are represented by ⟨〉 and kets are represented by ⟩〈.

2. How are bras and kets related in equations?

In equations, bras and kets are related by the inner product 〉|〈, which is used to calculate the probability amplitude of a quantum system transitioning from one state (ket) to another (bra).

3. Can bras and kets be used in classical equations?

No, bras and kets are specific to quantum mechanics and cannot be used in classical equations.

4. What is the significance of the bra-ket notation in quantum mechanics?

The bra-ket notation allows for a clear and concise representation of complex mathematical concepts in quantum mechanics, such as superposition and entanglement.

5. Are there any alternative notations for bras and kets in equations?

Yes, there are alternative notations such as Dirac notation and matrix notation that can be used to represent bras and kets in equations.