1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equaton problem

1. Apr 2, 2007 #1
    5n*[(2i)^(n-1) ]=11520

n=?

the answer in the book is n=9

notice i = (-1)^0.5
    how do i solve this equation

i tried to solve it in many ways including logarithims

but log and i (complex numbers)
    i dont know if its legal to do

any way i didnt study this logarithims of i (complex numbers)
    so i dont think that this is the right way.

plz help

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Of course, 5n(2i)n-1 is the same as 5n(2n-1)(in-1). But i to any power is one of i, -i, -1, and 1. Since the right hand side of the equation is a positive real number, in-1 must be equal to 1. This equation is exactly the same as n (2n-1)= 11520 (with the provision that n-1 must be a multiple of 4 so that the power of i is, in fact, +1). You still are not going to be able to solve that equation using logarithms- you have n both inside and outside a logarithm.

But since n must be a positive integer, there is nothing wrong with "trial and error"- it's just a little tedious. If n=1, then n-1= 0= 4(0), but obviously 5(1)(20)= 5 is NOT 11520. Okay, try n-1= 4, the next multiple of 4, so n= 5. Now 5(5)(24)= 25(16)= 400, not 11520. The next multiple of 4 is 8:if n-1= 8, then n= 9. 5(9)(28)= 45(256)= 11520. Got it!

4. Apr 2, 2007 #3
    are you sure that there is no other way?
    because i dont think that my teacher would like this
    trial and error technic

5. Apr 2, 2007 #4
    I agree with HOI, trial and error is the way to go. But, you can severely limit the possible values of n by simply looking at the original statement.

[tex] 5n \cdot (2i)^{n-1} = 11520 [/tex]

Now, if we assume n > 0 then 5n > 0, and therefore, so must the exponential. But, this will only occur for multiples of 4 plus 1. In other words:

[tex] n = 4m + 1 [/tex] for some m = 0, 1, 2,...

A quick check of these values will land you an answer at m = 2, and thus, n = 9. Since the absolute value of the expression on the left is increasing without bound for n > 0, this is the only positive solution.

If, on the other hand, we assume n < 0, then 5n < 0, and therefore, so must the exponential. This will only occur for multiples of 4 minus 1. Thus:

[tex] n = 4m - 1 [/tex] for some m = 0, -1, -2,...

However, note that for m = 0, we get a value of 5/4, and that for larger values of m, this result must be smaller. Therefore, there are no negative solutions.

6. Apr 2, 2007 #5
    thank alot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?