Equilibria in Nonlinear Systems

In summary, the conversation discusses a non-linear system and a change of coordinates to make the linearization work correctly. It also includes a solution to the system and a discussion about how to get the correct value for c.
BrainHurts
So I'm reading the Example on page 161 of Differential Equations, Dynamical Systems and an Introduction to Chaos by Hirsh, Smale, and Devaney.

I'm not understanding everything.

So given the system

[itex]x' = x + y^2 [/itex]
[itex]y' = -y[/itex]

we see this is non-linear. I get it that near the origin, y^2 tends to zero "fast". So we can consider the system

x' = x

y' = -y

I see that the solution to this system is [itex]X = c_1 e^t (1,0) + c_2e^{-t}(0,1) = (c_1e^{t},c_2e^{-2}) [/itex]and we have that the y-axis is the stable line and the x-axis is the unstable line.

Here's where I'm unsure of where things are going on since we can solve [itex]y' = -y \rightarrow y = y_0e^{-t}[/itex], we solve [itex]x' = x \rightarrow x = x_0e^t[/itex]

Since we have the solution to the homogenous eig buation and we'll say that the particular solution [itex] x_p(t) = Ce^{-2t}, x_p'(t) = -2Ce^{-2t},[/itex] we'll get that [itex]C = -\dfrac{1}{3}y_0^2[/itex], so we'll get that [itex]x(t) = ce^t - \dfrac{1}{3}y_0^2e^{-2t}[/itex]

Not seeing how they got that
[itex]x(t) = \left( x_0 + \dfrac{1}{3}y_0^2 \right) e^t - \dfrac{1}{3}y_0^2e^{-2t} [/itex]

[itex]y(t) = y_0e^{-t} [/itex]

why isn't it [itex]x(t) = \left( x_0 - \dfrac{1}{3}y_0^2 \right) e^t - \dfrac{1}{3}y_0^2e^{-2t} [/itex]?

This seems like a big deal because we're getting ready to do a change of coordinates.

Physics news on Phys.org
BrainHurts said:
So I'm reading the Example on page 161 of Differential Equations, Dynamical Systems and an Introduction to Chaos by Hirsh, Smale, and Devaney.

I'm not understanding everything.

So given the system

[itex]x' = x + y^2 [/itex]
[itex]y' = -y[/itex]

we see this is non-linear. I get it that near the origin, y^2 tends to zero "fast". So we can consider the system

x' = x

y' = -y

I see that the solution to this system is [itex]X = c_1 e^t (1,0) + c_2e^{-t}(0,1) = (c_1e^{t},c_2e^{-2}) [/itex]and we have that the y-axis is the stable line and the x-axis is the unstable line.

Here's where I'm unsure of where things are going on since we can solve [itex]y' = -y \rightarrow y = y_0e^{-t}[/itex], we solve [itex]x' = x \rightarrow x = x_0e^t[/itex]

Since we have the solution to the homogenous eig buation and we'll say that the particular solution [itex] x_p(t) = Ce^{-2t}, x_p'(t) = -2Ce^{-2t},[/itex] we'll get that [itex]C = -\dfrac{1}{3}y_0^2[/itex], so we'll get that [itex]x(t) = ce^t - \dfrac{1}{3}y_0^2e^{-2t}[/itex]

Not seeing how they got that
[itex]x(t) = \left( x_0 + \dfrac{1}{3}y_0^2 \right) e^t - \dfrac{1}{3}y_0^2e^{-2t} [/itex]

[itex]y(t) = y_0e^{-t} [/itex]

why isn't it [itex]x(t) = \left( x_0 - \dfrac{1}{3}y_0^2 \right) e^t - \dfrac{1}{3}y_0^2e^{-2t} [/itex]?

This seems like a big deal because we're getting ready to do a change of coordinates.

You have [itex]x(t) = ce^t - \frac13 y_0^2 e^{-2t}[/itex] and you need [itex]x(0) = x_0[/itex]. Hence [itex]c - \frac13 y_0^2 = x_0[/itex] so that [itex]c = x_ 0 + \frac13 y_0^2[/itex].

Thanks so much! I know we want to do that in order to make the linearization work correct?

1. What is the significance of studying equilibria in nonlinear systems?

Equilibria in nonlinear systems are important because they represent stable states that a system can reach, which can then be used to predict its behavior in different scenarios. Understanding these equilibria can also help us identify critical points in a system and make interventions to maintain stability.

2. How do you determine the stability of an equilibrium in a nonlinear system?

The stability of an equilibrium in a nonlinear system can be determined by analyzing the behavior of the system near the equilibrium point. This involves calculating the eigenvalues of the system's Jacobian matrix, and if all eigenvalues have negative real parts, the equilibrium is stable. If any eigenvalue has a positive real part, the equilibrium is unstable.

3. Can equilibria exist in chaotic systems?

Yes, equilibria can exist in chaotic systems. However, they may not have the same stability properties as equilibria in non-chaotic systems. In chaotic systems, small changes in initial conditions can lead to drastically different outcomes, making it difficult to predict the behavior near an equilibrium point.

4. What factors can affect the stability of equilibria in nonlinear systems?

The stability of equilibria in nonlinear systems can be affected by various factors such as the system's parameters, initial conditions, and external disturbances. Changes in these factors can lead to bifurcations, which can result in the emergence of new equilibria or the destabilization of existing ones.

5. How can we use equilibria in nonlinear systems to control or optimize a system's behavior?

By understanding the equilibria in a nonlinear system, we can design control strategies to manipulate the system's behavior and keep it within a desired equilibrium state. This can be done by adjusting system parameters or applying external inputs to drive the system towards a specific equilibrium. Additionally, equilibria can also be used to optimize a system's behavior by finding the most stable and desirable equilibrium state for a given set of parameters.