Equilibrium and a log

In summary, to prevent a log weighing 800N with its center of gravity at the midpoint from slipping, a coefficient of static friction of 1.01 or higher is necessary. This is determined by calculating the torque and force equations, solving for the vertical and horizontal components of tension, and using the formula for normal force and coefficient of friction.
Supernerd2004
A log weighs 800N and has its center of gravity at the midpoint. Find the lowest coefficient of static friction necessary to keep the log from slipping.

Answer (1.01)

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/8407/physicsproblem3ox.th.png

Ok, so, i started out by finding my torque and force equations.
Torque = (800)*(3.5)*(cos(25)) = (Tv)*(6.5)*(cos(25)) + (Th)*(6.5)*(sin(25))

Normal Force = (800) - (Tv)

Force of Friction = (Normal Force) (Coefficient of Friction)

Force of Friction = (Th)

tan(25) = (Th)/(Tv)

So, solving for (Th) I got...
(Th) = tan(25)/Tv

So, Torque = (800)*(3.5)*cos(25) = (Tv)*(6.5)*cos(25) + (tan(25)/(Tv))*(sin(25))

Where (Tv) is the vertical component of the tension and (Th) is the horizontal component of tension.

Solving for (Tv) I get (Tv) = 353.83
Solving for (Th) (Th) = tan(25)(353.83) = 164.99

If Normal Force = Weight - (Tv) then N = 800 - 353.83 = 446.17

so (Normal Force)(Coefficient of Friction) = (Th)
Then (446.17)(Coe. of Friction) = 164.17
The coe. of friction is not equal to 1.01

Any help as to where I went wrong would be much appreciated! Thanks so much in advance for any help!

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hmm, i don't claim to be a physics pro but the coeff i calculated is the same as yours. Maybe someone want to come in and help?

I can see that you have used the correct equations and have approached the problem correctly. However, there seems to be a small error in your calculations. When solving for (Th), you have multiplied tan(25) by 353.83 instead of dividing by it. This would give you a value of 164.99, which is slightly different from the correct answer of 164.17. This small error could account for the difference in the coefficient of friction you have calculated. Therefore, I would suggest double checking your calculations and correcting this error to get a more accurate result. Other than that, your approach and equations seem to be correct.

1. What is equilibrium?

Equilibrium refers to a state where opposing forces or processes are in balance. In the context of chemistry, it refers to a state where the forward and reverse reactions occur at the same rate, resulting in no net change in the concentration of reactants and products.

2. What is a log in chemistry?

In chemistry, a log refers to the logarithmic function, which is used to express the concentration of a substance in a solution. It is calculated by taking the negative logarithm of the concentration, and it is typically measured in units of pH or pKa.

3. How is equilibrium related to a log?

Equilibrium and a log are related through the equilibrium constant, K, which is a ratio of the concentrations of products and reactants at equilibrium. The value of K can be expressed as a logarithm, known as the log of the equilibrium constant (log K). This allows for a more convenient way of comparing the relative concentrations of products and reactants at equilibrium.

4. How does temperature affect equilibrium and a log?

Temperature has a significant impact on equilibrium and a log. According to Le Chatelier's principle, an increase in temperature will shift the equilibrium towards the endothermic direction, resulting in a higher concentration of products. This will also affect the value of K, as the equilibrium constant is temperature-dependent. As a result, the log of the equilibrium constant will also change with temperature.

5. What is the relationship between equilibrium and the pH scale?

The pH scale is a logarithmic scale that measures the acidity or basicity of a solution. It is related to equilibrium through the autoionization of water, where equilibrium is established between the concentrations of H+ and OH- ions. The pH of a solution can be calculated using the log function, as pH = -log[H+]. In addition, changes in pH can affect the equilibrium of acid-base reactions, as they are dependent on the concentration of H+ ions.