1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilibrium and elasticity

1. Mar 25, 2008 #1
    a uniform beam of weight 400 N and length 3.2 m is suspended horizontally. On the left it is hinged to a wall; on the right is it supported by a cable bolted to the wall at distance D above the beam. The least tension that will snap the cable is 1200 N.

(a) What value of D corresponds to that tension?
    m
    (b) Give any value for D that won't snap the cable.
    m

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2008 #2
    well if u dont give us your thoughts we wont help you

4. Mar 25, 2008 #3
    im just not sure how to find D. i tired useing it as a torque equation, and solve for the radius, but i just cant seen to get it right. i am at a loss for what to do!

5. Mar 25, 2008 #4
    i remenber those kind of question your question is so easy that even you dont need any kind of equations just mathmatics think this is a hint (the beam is horizontal and the wall is at left perpendicular to it and at right the cable is letting it to be on equilibrium so what to do well try to think its only math)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?