Equilibrium and Electrons (I have the answer, need to know how to do it)

G M_E m_e} {R_E ^2} The term in the brackets is just the Earth's gravitational force on the upper electron. As D is increased this term will become smaller and smaller compared to the Coulomb force for the given d. As D gets very large it would require a very small d to make this term as large as the Coulomb force. As the problem states D=0 the Coulomb force is equal to the Earth's gravitational force on the upper electron. In summary, the distance between two electrons is 5.07 m when the gravitational force between them is balanced by the electric force.
NYROCKFAN
I have the answer to this question... but I need to know mathematically how to solve it.

Q: An electron is released above the Earth's surface. A second electron directly below it exerts just enough of an electric force on the first electron to cancel the gravitational force on it. Find the distance between the two electrons.

A: 5.07 m

Physics news on Phys.org
I would know how to solve it if I were given numerical values (I've done three equilibrium problems on my homework, all with numbers, and I solved them without any problems).

The formulas:

Fe = (8.99 x 10^9)(q1)(q2)/ d^2

Fg = (6.67 x 10^-11)(m1)(m2)/ d^2

NYROCKFAN said:
I would know how to solve it if I were given numerical values (I've done three equilibrium problems on my homework, all with numbers, and I solved them without any problems).

The formulas:

Fe = (8.99 x 10^9)(q1)(q2)/ d^2

Fg = (6.67 x 10^-11)(m1)(m2)/ d^2

the charge for an electron is a fundamental constant look it up in your textbook it is around 1.6 x 10^-19 Coulombs and the mass of the electron is also a fundamental constant which is 9.11 x 10^-31 kg

stunner5000pt said:
the charge for an electron is a fundamental constant look it up in your textbook it is around 1.6 x 10^-19 Coulombs and the mass of the electron is also a fundamental constant which is 9.11 x 10^-31 kg

I did that... but the answer I got was well over 1000 m

Here is what I did... maybe you could tell me where I went wrong:

(8.99 x 10^9)(1.6 x 10^-9)^2 / x^2
=
(6.67 x 10^-11)(9.109 x 10^-31)^2 / x^2

Whoops... I put 9 instead on 19.

Let me try that again...

Nope... still got a number much bigger than 5

Am I not supposed to square the charge and mass values?

Ok... tried not squaring them... still a huge number

Anyone out there have any ideas?

Make it a habit to solve all of your problems symbolically. When you have a symbolic solution, then plug in numbers.

individually your equations are correct. BUT, is the d in the gravity equation the same as the d in Columbs equation? What are the 2 masses in the gravity equation?

I would write the equations

[tex] F_c = K \frac {q_e^2} {d^2} [/tex]
and
[tex] F_g = G \frac {m_e M_E} {{(R_e + D +d)}^2}[/tex]

Where Fc = Coulmb force
Fg = Gravitational force
qe= electron charge
me= mass of the electron
ME= Mass of the Earth
Re=Radius of the earth
D is the distance above the earth
d is the distance between the electrons

K and G are the respective force constants.
edit: added parens in the denominator of the gravitational equation.

Now set the forces equal and solve for d.

Last edited:
I have never seen the second equation in my life... & I have no idea how to use it.

I'm only supposed to use the two equations I've been using.

& I assume the distances are the same because I have no idea what they could be.

& about the masses... again I have no idea. I copied the question exactly from my book.

All we learned in this unit so far is stuff like three particles, each has a different charge (which you know), you know the distances of two of them, what is the third distance.

Anyone else have any ideas?

NYROCKFAN said:
I have never seen the second equation in my life... & I have no idea how to use it.

I'm only supposed to use the two equations I've been using.

& I assume the distances are the same because I have no idea what they could be.
Sure you have, that is simply the distance from the center of the Earth to your second electron.

Trouble, we do not know D, the distance of the lower electron from the surface of the earth. Assume it to be zero or nearly so if you need a numerical solution. You also may be able to neglect the d (distance between the electrons) in the gravitational equation.

You can find the distance at which the gravitational force of 2 electrons is equal to the Coulomb force, but it is when r = [itex] \infty [/itex]

You need to find the balance between the EARTHS gravitational field and the Coulomb field of the electrons.

And what about the gravitational force between the two electrons? Shouldn't it be considered?

I am going to finish this problem. Just because.
we have:
Major edit! I am redefining D to be the distance to the upper electron instead of the lower, this removes the extra d greatly simplifing the expression.

[tex] F_c = K \frac {q_e^2} {d^2} = F_g = G \frac {m_e M_E} {{(R_e + D )}^2}[/tex]

We need to isolate d,

[tex]d^2 = \frac {K q_e^2 (R_E + D )^2} {G M_E m_e}[/tex]

[tex] d = q_e (R_E+D) \sqrt {\frac {K} {G M_E m_e} } [/tex]

If we neglect the gravitational force between the electrons and assume that we are near the Earth's surface this simplifies a to.

[tex] d = q_e R_E \sqrt {\frac {K} {G M_E m_e} } [/tex]

Pluging in the numerical values yields d=5.07m

Last edited:
good idea I will try it

I ran out of the time this morning let me explain a little better the effects of D.

[tex] d = (R_E +D) \sqrt {\frac {K} {G M_E m_e} }[/tex]

So here we have an expression for the distance between 2 electrons in gravitational equilibrium with the Coulomb forces of the lower electron which is D m above the Earth's surface balancing the Earth's gravitational force on the upper electron. It is clear that as D increases the distance between the electrons will increase. Given this expression you can find the separation at any given distance above the Earth's surface, you will find that you will need more then 3 significant digits for D < 104m. By setting D=0 we find a minimum separation. Which corresponds to the given result.

Last edited:
Why can we ignore the gravitational force between the electrons?
This force is given by:
[tex] F_e = G \frac {m_e^2} {d^2} [/tex]

This would be added to the Earths gravitational force given by:

[tex] F_E = G \frac {M_E m_e} {R_E ^2} [/tex]

Lets compare the magnitude of these terms by looking at

[tex] \frac {F_e} G [/tex] and [tex] \frac {F_E} G [/tex]

This will just be an order of magnitude comparison so

we have
ME ~ 1024kg
me ~ 10-31kg
RE ~ 106m
d ~ 10

[tex] \frac {F_e} G = \frac {m_e^2} {d^2}\sim 10^{-60}[/tex]

While

[tex] \frac {F_E} G = \frac {M_E m_e} {R_E ^2} \sim 10^{-19}[/tex]

Clearly the gravitational effects between the electrons is much smaller then the Earth's gravitational effect and can be neglected.

1. What is equilibrium?

Equilibrium refers to a state of balance or stability in a system. In terms of electrons, it is when the number of electrons entering a system is equal to the number of electrons leaving the system.

2. How is equilibrium related to electrons?

Electrons are essential particles in the study of equilibrium. In a closed system, the movement of electrons can determine the overall charge and energy of the system, which is important for maintaining equilibrium.

3. What factors can disrupt equilibrium in an electron system?

External factors such as changes in temperature, pressure, or voltage can affect the movement of electrons and disrupt equilibrium. Additionally, any change in the number of electrons in the system can also cause a shift in equilibrium.

4. How is equilibrium calculated in terms of electrons?

In terms of electrons, equilibrium is calculated by determining the overall charge and energy of the system. This can be done using mathematical equations and formulas, as well as by analyzing the movement of electrons within the system.

5. Why is understanding equilibrium and electrons important in science?

Equilibrium is a fundamental concept in science, and understanding how it applies to electrons allows us to explain and predict the behavior of various systems. This knowledge is essential in fields such as chemistry, physics, and materials science.