1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilibrium and tension problem

1. Nov 4, 2004 #1
    The problem as stated in the book
    "Calculate the tension [tex]F_{t}[/tex] in the wire that supports the 30-kg beam shown in fig. 9-57 (attached), and the force [tex]F_{w}[/tex] exerted by the wall on the beam (give magnitude and direction)."

Getting the Tension in the string was easy.
    [tex]\sum\tau = F_{ty} \cdot x_{1} - mg(\frac{x_{1}}{2}) = 0[/tex]
    [tex]F_{ty} = 147N[/tex]
    [tex]F_{t} = \frac{F_{ty}}{sin 50} = 1.9 \times 10^2N [/tex]

To get the [tex]F_{w}[/tex], I used the sum of forces.
    [tex]\sum{F_{x}} = F_{tx} - F_{wx} = 0 \Rightarrow F_{tx} = F_{wx} = F_{t} \cdot cos 50 = 123.35 N[/tex]
    [tex]\sum{F_{y}} = F_{ty} + F_{wy} - mg \Rightarrow F_{wy} = mg - F_{ty} = 102.11 N[/tex]

So now I have the two components for [tex]F_{w}[/tex] , I use pythagorous and solve for the resultant vector to get 160.13 N. The book, however, says the answer is [tex]1.9 \times 10^2 N[/tex]. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2004 #2
    nevermind, the problem was when I confused [tex]F_{wy}[/tex] for [tex]F_{w}[/tex]
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?