Equilibrium and wire tension problem

In summary, the problem is that the author forgot to include the angle in the calculations, and ended up getting the wrong answer.
FarazAli
the problem as in the book
"Two guy wires run from the top of a pole 2.6 m tall that supports a volleyball net. The two wires are anchored to the ground 2.0 m apart and each is 2.0m from the pole. The tension in each wire is 95 N. What is the tension in the net, assumed horizontal and attached at the top of the pole?" - I've attached an image.

What I tried to do was figure out the distance from one wire to the top of the pole.
[tex]X = (2.6m^2 + 2.0m^2)^{\frac{1}{2}} = 3.28m[/tex]

Then using the sum of torques (which is zero in equilibrium) at the first rope as the pivot point
[tex]\sum\tau = -\tau_{2} + F_{tensioninnet}X = 0 \Rightarrow F_{tensionnet} = \frac{\tau_{2}}{X} = \frac{95N \cdot 2.0m}{3.28m}[/tex]

I get 60N, but the answer in the back of the book is 100 Newtons. I also noticed if I multiplied the answer by [tex]tan(60)[/tex] (equilateral triangle at the bottom), and I get 100 N

Attachments

• diagram.GIF
    diagram.GIF
    2.3 KB · Views: 964
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No need for distances or torques. Find the net horizontal force exerted by the guy wires on the pole.

but we don't have a system in only two directions do we?

FarazAli said:
but we don't have a system in only two directions do we?
Figure it out in steps. First, find the component in the horizontal plane of the tension from each wire. Then add those two horizontal plane components to find the net force from the wires in the horizontal plane.

so I resolve the tension into components. You would need an angle to resolve the x-component. We have none. So what I tried was using the law of sines, [tex]sin^{-1}\left(\frac{sin 90 \cdot 2.6m}{3.8m}\right) = \theta = 43.2[/tex].

So I multiplied the tension times cosine of this to get 65N. So the tension in the net is supposed to be two times this (two guy wires), which is 138N. The answer is 100 N however

FarazAli said:
so I resolve the tension into components. You would need an angle to resolve the x-component. We have none. So what I tried was using the law of sines, [tex]sin^{-1}\left(\frac{sin 90 \cdot 2.6m}{3.8m}\right) = \theta = 43.2[/tex].
You used 3.8m instead of 3.28m.

So I multiplied the tension times cosine of this to get 65N. So the tension in the net is supposed to be two times this (two guy wires), which is 138N. The answer is 100 N however.
These horizontal-plane components are not parallel, so you can't just add them like scalars. Once you get the correct horizontal component, find the angle the two components make and add them like vectors.

Think of the coordinate system this way: the z-axis is vertical (along the pole); the x-axis is parallel to the net; the y-axis perpendicular to the net. The force that each wire exerts on the pole has components along each axis. First find the component of each in the x-y plane (what I've been calling the horizontal plane). Once you've done that, add those two vectors to find the net force in the horizontal plane.

What is equilibrium in terms of a wire tension problem?

Equilibrium in a wire tension problem refers to the state in which the forces acting on the wire are balanced, resulting in no net force and no acceleration.

How is equilibrium achieved in a wire tension problem?

Equilibrium in a wire tension problem is achieved when the forces acting on the wire, such as tension and weight, are equal and opposite.

What factors affect the equilibrium of a wire tension problem?

The equilibrium of a wire tension problem can be affected by the weight and mass of the object attached to the wire, the angle at which the wire is suspended, and the strength and stiffness of the wire itself.

What happens if the forces in a wire tension problem are not in equilibrium?

If the forces in a wire tension problem are not in equilibrium, the wire will experience a net force and will either stretch or compress, depending on the direction of the force.

How can the equilibrium of a wire tension problem be calculated?

The equilibrium of a wire tension problem can be calculated using the principle of static equilibrium, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object must be zero and the sum of all torques must be zero.