Equilibrium - Calculate forces

In summary: The moment of a force about a point is the force times the distance from that point.Just choose a point, and calculate all the moments.is this correct for F2:0=-F3D1 - (D1+D2)F4 - (D1+D2+D3)F5 + (D1+D2+D3+D4)F2 - ((D1+D2+D3+D4)/2)(9.8)then F2= [ F3D1 + (D1+D2)F4 + (D1+D2+D3)F5 + ((D1+D2
Naldo6
Here is the picture of the Problem in the atachments ok... i need to calculate F1 and F2.

Any suggestions please... i don't know how to begin the exercise. ok help please

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 335
Physics news on Phys.org
Naldo6 said:
Here is the picture of the Problem in the atachments ok... i need to calculate F1 and F2.

Hi Naldo6! :smile:

In problems like this, you can take components in a direction, or you can take moments about a point.

Try moments! :wink:

how i try that?...

moments of forces

Naldo6 said:
how i try that?...

Moments are like a see-saw … the smaller you are, the further away you have to be to balance someone bigger.

In equilibrium, the moments all add up to zero (just like ordinary components of force).

The moment of a force about a point is the force times the distance from that point.

Just choose a point, and calculate all the moments. :smile:

is this correct for F2:

0=-F3D1 - (D1+D2)F4 - (D1+D2+D3)F5 + (D1+D2+D3+D4)F2 - ((D1+D2+D3+D4)/2)(9.8)

then F2= [ F3D1 + (D1+D2)F4 + (D1+D2+D3)F5 + ((D1+D2+D3+D4)/2)(9.8) ] / (D1+D2+D3+D4)

right?...

and then F2 + F3 + F4 + (9.8)(mass) = F1 + F2 to calculate the other righ?...

i do that but i don't get my answers...

Naldo6 said:
then F2= [ F3D1 + (D1+D2)F4 + (D1+D2+D3)F5 + ((D1+D2+D3+D4)/2)(9.8) ] / (D1+D2+D3+D4)

Hi Naldo6! :smile:

Did you mean to type

F2= [ F3D1 + (D1+D2)F4 + (D1+D2+D3)F5 + ((D1+D2+D3+D4)/2)(9.8)(mass) ] / (D1+D2+D3+D4)?

(which you could simplify to F2= (9.8)(mass)/2 + [ F3D1 + (D1+D2)F4 + (D1+D2+D3)F5] / (D1+D2+D3+D4))

If so, that should be right.

Do D1 etc have numbers?

If so, show us the full calculation, and maybe we can see the mistake. :smile:

ty... i get the correct answer with my formula, i just wa smissing my mass in the F of gravity ... ty a lot

1. What is equilibrium?

Equilibrium is a state of balance where the net force acting on an object is zero, meaning there is no acceleration or change in motion.

2. How do you calculate forces in equilibrium?

To calculate forces in equilibrium, you need to use Newton's First Law of Motion, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object is equal to zero. This means that the forces acting in one direction must be balanced by an equal force acting in the opposite direction.

3. What is the formula for calculating forces in equilibrium?

The formula for calculating forces in equilibrium is ΣF = 0, where ΣF represents the sum of all forces acting on the object.

4. How do you determine if an object is in equilibrium?

If an object is in equilibrium, the net force acting on it will be zero. This can be determined by calculating the sum of all forces acting on the object and ensuring that it equals zero.

5. Can an object be in equilibrium if it is moving?

Yes, an object can be in equilibrium even if it is moving at a constant speed. This is known as dynamic equilibrium, where the net force is still zero but the object is in motion due to balanced forces.