Equilibrium Chemistry Homework: Find [HI] at 400°C

In summary: You can then use the given equilibrium constant and the total volume of the flask to solve for x.In summary, the given equilibrium constant for the reaction H2 + I2 = 2HI at 400 degrees Celcius is Kc=64. When 3.0 mol H2 and 3.0 mol of I2 are introduced into an empty 4.0 L flask, the equilibrium concentration of HI can be calculated using the balanced equation and stoichiometric ratios. The calculated equilibrium concentration is 1.2 M, which differs from the incorrect value of 6.0 M calculated using a flawed approach.
ColinTI89

Homework Statement

At 400 degrees Celcius, Kc=64 for the equilibrium H2 + I2 = 2HI. If 3.0 mol H2 and 3.0 mol of I2 are introduced into an empty 4.0 L flask, find the equilibrium concentration of HI at 400 degrees Celcius.

Homework Equations

[HI]^2
--------

[I2]

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer given in the answer key is 1.2 M, which I am not getting. Since molarity is defined as mol/Liter, I calculate the molarity of the two given substances which is both 0.75 M. I set up the equation like this (sorry for the crappy quality):

...[HI]^2
64 = ----------
...[0.75] [0.75]

Multiplying 0.75 x 0.75 gives 0.5625 on the bottom. I then multiply both sides by 0.5625 to isolate [HI]^2. It now looks like this:

36=[HI]^2.

When I square root both sides I get 6.0, which doesn't sound correct anyways. Can anyone help? P.S. It's my first post on PhysicsForums!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Keep in mind that the same reaction that produces HI also uses up both I2 and H2. Those elements may initially have concentrations of 0.75 mol/L, but this will decrease as they are consumed by the reaction.

Try writing a balanced equation for the reaction, and use the stoichiometric ratios to determine the amount of each element left after you've produced x moles of HI.

1. What is the purpose of finding [HI] at 400°C in equilibrium chemistry homework?

The purpose of finding [HI] at 400°C is to determine the concentration of hydrogen iodide (HI) at a specific temperature in a chemical equilibrium reaction. This information can be used to calculate the equilibrium constant (K) of the reaction, which is a measure of the extent to which the reaction proceeds.

2. How is the equilibrium constant (K) related to the concentration of [HI] at 400°C?

In a chemical equilibrium reaction, the equilibrium constant (K) is equal to the ratio of the product concentrations to the reactant concentrations, with each concentration raised to the power of its coefficient in the balanced chemical equation. Therefore, the concentration of [HI] at 400°C is directly related to the equilibrium constant (K) of the reaction.

3. What factors can affect the concentration of [HI] at 400°C in a chemical equilibrium reaction?

The concentration of [HI] at 400°C can be affected by changes in temperature, pressure, and the initial concentrations of the reactants and products. These factors can shift the equilibrium position of the reaction and change the concentration of [HI] at 400°C.

4. How can the concentration of [HI] at 400°C be determined experimentally?

The concentration of [HI] at 400°C can be determined experimentally by measuring the initial concentrations of the reactants and products, and then observing the change in these concentrations over time as the reaction reaches equilibrium at 400°C. This data can then be used to calculate the equilibrium concentration of [HI] at 400°C.

5. Can the concentration of [HI] at 400°C ever be exactly determined in a real-world scenario?

In theory, the concentration of [HI] at 400°C can be exactly determined in a real-world scenario. However, in practice, there may be experimental errors and uncertainties that can affect the accuracy of the measured concentration. Additionally, the equilibrium constant (K) of a reaction can also vary with changes in temperature, pressure, and other factors, which can further affect the accuracy of the calculated [HI] concentration at 400°C.