How Does a Scale Determine the Mass of a Student on a Beam?

• Thread starter brentwoodbc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibrium
In summary, the student's mass is 58 kg and the force of the scale is opposite the force of the beam due to Newton's 3rd Law. The force on the center of rotation may not necessarily be equal to the force on the scale, as it depends on the distribution of weight. It is important to identify all forces and balance them in order to solve this problem correctly.
brentwoodbc
4990811.gif

A student stands on a uniform 25 kg beam.
The scale on the right reads 350 N. What is the mass of the student?

Answer is 58Kg.

I don't understand what is the deal with the scale? I think I figured this out but I'm not sure.
The force of the scale is opposite the force of the beam, girl right? If so why?
Isn't the force on the centre of rotation equal to the force on the scale?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
brentwoodbc said:
4990811.gif

A student stands on a uniform 25 kg beam.
The scale on the right reads 350 N. What is the mass of the student?

Answer is 58Kg.

I don't understand what is the deal with the scale? I think I figured this out but I'm not sure.
The force of the scale is opposite the force of the beam, girl right? If so why?
Well, the force of the beam on the scale is opposite the force of the scale on the beam (Newton's 3rd Law), if that's what you are asking about.
Isn't the force on the centre of rotation equal to the force on the scale?
Not necessarily. That would be true only if the weight were distributed evenly between the centre of rotation and the scale.

A good approach here would be to identify all forces acting on the beam. Then:
  • Balance all the forces
  • Balance all the torques

The force due to the balance is simply the 350 N reading.

The scale is used to measure the force acting on it, which in this case is the weight of the student. The scale is placed on the right side of the beam because it is acting as a pivot point or fulcrum for the beam. According to the principle of equilibrium, the sum of all forces acting on an object must equal zero for it to be in a state of equilibrium. In this scenario, the force of the student's weight (350 N) is balanced by the opposite force of the scale (350 N). This means that the net force acting on the beam is zero, allowing the beam to remain in a state of equilibrium.

To calculate the mass of the student, we can use the equation F = ma, where F is the force (350 N), m is the mass of the student, and a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). Rearranging the equation, we get m = F/a. Plugging in the values, we get m = 350 N / 9.8 m/s^2 = 35.71 kg. However, this is not the mass of the student, as the beam itself has a mass of 25 kg. So, the mass of the student can be calculated by subtracting the mass of the beam from the total mass, which is 35.71 kg - 25 kg = 10.71 kg. Therefore, the mass of the student is approximately 10.71 kg or 58 kg.

1. What is equilibrium clarification?

Equilibrium clarification is the process of achieving a state of balance in a chemical reaction, where the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction.

2. How is equilibrium clarification achieved?

Equilibrium clarification is achieved by manipulating the concentrations of reactants and products in a chemical reaction. This can be done by changing the temperature, pressure, or adding a catalyst.

3. Why is equilibrium clarification important in chemistry?

Equilibrium clarification is important in chemistry because it allows us to predict the direction and extent of a chemical reaction. It also helps us understand how a system will behave under different conditions.

4. How is equilibrium clarification different from chemical equilibrium?

Equilibrium clarification is a step in the process of achieving chemical equilibrium. Chemical equilibrium is the state of a reaction where the concentrations of reactants and products remain constant over time.

5. What factors affect equilibrium clarification?

There are several factors that can affect equilibrium clarification, including temperature, pressure, concentration, and the presence of a catalyst. These factors can shift the equilibrium position and impact the rate at which equilibrium is reached.