Equilibrium Constant Calculation

In summary, the conversation revolved around determining the equilibrium constant for a given reaction at 730 oC, with given equilibrium concentrations of reactants and products. The initial answer provided was incorrect due to a significant arithmetic error, and the correct answer was determined to be 500640625. The conversation concluded with gratitude for the assistance.
Spallation
Determine the equilibrium constant, my working is below:

Equilibrium reaction:
[PLAIN]http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/5106/reactiondy.jpg

At 730 oC the equilibrium concentrations of reactants and products are:

[H2 (g) ] / mol dm-3 : 2.40 x 10-7

[Cl2 (g)] / mol dm-3 : 2.40 x 10-7

[HCl (g)] / mol dm-3: 5.37 x 10-3

[PLAIN]http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4485/equationconstant.jpg

My answer is wrong but I don't know why, I must have missed something out. Thanks for any explanations I receive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Spallation! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Your arithmetic is wrong … how did you get 2.9 10-5 ? :confused:

I rounded to two significant figures and put it in scientific notation from the answer 0.000028836

Thanks for the welcome :)

erm … 0.000028836 is just the top line! :biggrin:

Woah so it is, what a mistake to make, my new answer is 500640625.

I agree with Tiny Tim your arithmetic is 13 orders of magnitude adrift. This is more than a rounding error.

Spallation said:
Woah so it is, what a mistake to make, my new answer is 500640625.

:biggrin: Woohoo! :biggrin:

(and you were only out originally by about 1014 ! o:))

Indeed, how embarrasing! Thank you for the help.

What is the equilibrium constant?

The equilibrium constant is a numerical value that represents the ratio of concentration of products to reactants at equilibrium for a chemical reaction. It is denoted by the symbol Keq.

How do you calculate the equilibrium constant?

The equilibrium constant (Keq) can be calculated by dividing the concentration of products by the concentration of reactants, with each concentration raised to the power of its coefficient in the balanced chemical equation. The concentrations must be in units of molarity (M).

What does the value of the equilibrium constant indicate?

The value of the equilibrium constant indicates the relative amounts of products and reactants at equilibrium. A larger value of Keq indicates that the reaction favors the formation of products, while a smaller value indicates that the reaction favors the formation of reactants.

How does temperature affect the equilibrium constant?

According to Le Chatelier's principle, an increase in temperature will shift the equilibrium towards the endothermic direction, leading to an increase in the value of Keq. Conversely, a decrease in temperature will shift the equilibrium towards the exothermic direction, resulting in a decrease in the value of Keq.

What is the significance of the equilibrium constant in chemical reactions?

The equilibrium constant is an important concept in chemical reactions as it provides information about the direction and extent of a reaction at equilibrium. It also allows for the prediction of how changing conditions, such as temperature or concentration, will affect the equilibrium position of a reaction.