Equilibrium Force Question Homework

In summary, the bag of cement hangs from three wires with the angles θ1 = 57.1° and θ2 = 25.0°. If the system is in equilibrium, calculate the tensions T1, T2, and T3.
joedozzi

Homework Statement

a.
A bag of cement of weight 290 N hangs from three wires as shown in the figure below.

[PLAIN]http://capa.physics.mcmaster.ca/figures/sb/Graph05/sb-pic0524.png

Two of the wires make angles θ1 = 57.1° and θ2 = 25.0° with the horizontal. If the system is in equilibrium, calculate the tension T1.

b.
Calculate the tension T2.

c.
Calculate the tension T3.

Homework Equations

Anything to with kinematics/force

The Attempt at a Solution

no idea...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the relationship between the forces on the hanging mass and the tension in T3. What is the net force on the hanging mass? What forces attribute to this net force? Then try to find a relation between T3 and T2 and T1. What component of T2 and T1 do you need? How is this related to theta?

Last edited:
UPDATE:

How do I isolate for T1?

Weight = T1sin(theta1) + [T1cos(theta1)]/[cos(theta2)]xsin(theta2)

joedozzi said:
UPDATE:

How do I isolate for T1?

Weight = T1sin(theta1) + [T1cos(theta1)]/[cos(theta2)]xsin(theta2)

You are making this much too hard. I will give you a big hint. Weight = T1. Now I ask you what the vert compontets of T2 and T3 will have to add up to?

it should add up to 290N

Yup! Can you tell me why this is?

Okay I get that but I am not sure what to do next. You are saying that my T1 is 290N? I did figure out my T3 is 290N? How do I figure out T2?

joedozzi said:
Okay I get that but I am not sure what to do next. You are saying that my T1 is 290N? I did figure out my T3 is 290N? How do I figure out T2?

Wow I am sorry I made a typo. T3 will equal weight and the vert components of T3 and T2 will sum to weight. Now try it.

So i understand, that T3=290N but How do I vert components T1 and T2?
Using sin?

joedozzi said:
So i understand, that T3=290N but How do I vert components T1 and T2?
Using sin?

Yup use sine.

So sin57.1 + sin25.0 = 290N
this would give me T1 and T2?

joedozzi said:
So sin57.1 + sin25.0 = 290N
this would give me T1 and T2?

Well not quite. You don't have T1 and T2 involved in your answer.
T1sin57.1 + T2sin25 = 290

how do I solve for this if I have two unknowns?

Think of it as a proportion. What percent of the force will have to go to T1 as opposed to T2 based on the angles.

This is all I can say for tonight. I have to go now.
Good Luck!

1. What is equilibrium force?

Equilibrium force is the state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no acceleration or change in motion.

2. How do you calculate equilibrium force?

To calculate equilibrium force, you need to first identify all the forces acting on the object. Then, use Newton's Second Law (F = ma) to determine the net force. If the net force is zero, the object is in equilibrium.

3. What happens to an object in equilibrium?

An object in equilibrium will remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity. If any external force is applied, the object will no longer be in equilibrium and will accelerate in the direction of the net force.

4. What are some real-life examples of equilibrium force?

Some examples of equilibrium force include a book resting on a table, a person standing still, or a car moving at a constant speed on a flat road.

5. How is equilibrium force related to Newton's First Law?

Equilibrium force is related to Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, which states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue moving at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In equilibrium, there is no net force acting on the object, so it will maintain its state of motion.