Finding Equilibrium Force: Is it Correct?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the force of a hypotenuse using trigonometric functions and how it can result in a much larger force due to mechanical advantage. The final answer is 3010.4 N, with the reminder to consider the given distances to 2 significant digits.
UrbanXrisis
the question is http://home.earthlink.net/~urban-xrisis/clip_image002.jpg

so first I found the angle...
[tex]tan\theta=\frac{O}{A}=\frac{0.5}{6}[/tex]
[tex]\theta=4.7636416[/tex]

I then needed to find the force of the hypotnuse...
[tex]sin\theta=\frac{O}{H}[/tex]
[tex]H=\frac{250N}{sin4.7636416}[/tex]

[tex]H=3010.3987N[/tex]

is this correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't bother going through your work, but I got the same answer, 3010.4 N. So I assume it's correct. Also, the distances in your problem were given to 2 significant digits, so realistically the answer is correct to only 2 sig dig.

Last edited:
That looks good to me. Assuming all of your calculations are correct, that seems to be the correct method for solving this problem.

it just seems amazing that if you applied only 500 Newtons, you will get a resultant force of over 6 times of what you applied.

how can that be?

Mechanical advantage. You are applying force against a much larger angle than the force applied against the car. The difference in this angle will result in the force on the car being much greater.

1. What is equilibrium force?

Equilibrium force is the force required to balance an object or system in a state of equilibrium. This means that the net force acting on the object is equal to zero, resulting in no acceleration.

2. How do you find equilibrium force?

To find equilibrium force, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object or system. Then, using Newton's Second Law of Motion (F=ma), you can calculate the net force. If the net force is equal to zero, then that is the equilibrium force.

3. What factors affect equilibrium force?

The factors that affect equilibrium force include the mass of the object, the acceleration due to gravity, and the other forces acting on the object. Additionally, the distance between the forces and the object can also impact the equilibrium force.

4. Is there only one equilibrium force for an object?

No, there can be multiple equilibrium forces for an object. This is because an object can be in equilibrium with different combinations of forces acting on it. However, the net force resulting from these combinations will always be equal to zero.

5. How can you confirm if the calculated equilibrium force is correct?

You can confirm if the calculated equilibrium force is correct by performing multiple calculations using different sets of forces and comparing the results. Additionally, you can also conduct experiments to test the equilibrium force and see if the object remains balanced when the calculated equilibrium force is applied.