Equilibrium & Friction Problem

In summary, the person in the system has a mass of 60 kg and if the system is in equilibrium, the coefficient of friction between the person and the ground is given as 0.13322 N.
e4physics
The person in the system above has a mass of 60 kg. If the system is in equilibrium, what is the coefficient of friction between the person and the ground, to two decimal places?

I need help on this question , I have done some work on it which is given below:

Converted masses into weights/forces:

for weight of man : 60*98.1 = 588.6 N

for weight of the hanging mass = 10 * 98.1 = 98.1 N

I have done the tension in the string , the man is pulling the weight.

T* COS60° = 98.1N

T = 98.1N/COS60°

T = 196.2 N

IF THE SYSTEM IS IN EQUILIBRIUM SUM OF THE FORCES SHOULD BE ZERO.

I HAVE ALSO FOUND THE OTHER COMPONENT OF T WHICH I THINK WILL BE EQUAL AND OPPOSITE THE FRICTIONAL FORCE. ITS GIVEN AS

Ty = 196.2* sin 60° = 169.9144 N

My understanding is that i need to use F = μ * W

But i am not sure about what will be W

Could someone explain this question and guide me if i have done this right.

Attachments

• LB0202.jpg
    LB0202.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 359
Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot determine the coef of static friction, but you can determine the min coef required to keep the mans feet from sliding, which perhaps is what the problem is asking? Your tension calc is wrong, based on a free body diagram of the hanging object, what is T?? Then look at the forces on the man, break up T into its horiz and vert components and solve for the friction force and normal force using equilibrium in x and y directions separately, then friction force = coef of friction times normal force at the
limiting value of static friction.

Solution for friction equilibrium

THANKS FOR GUIDING ME - I NEED FURTHER HELP

I have solved this according to your advice. Confusion i have about angle. i did 90-60=30

x Component of T = 98.1* COS 30° = 84.95N
y component of T = 98.1 SIN 30° = 49.05

SUM X forces is only 84.95N (equal and opposite to friction force).

SUM of Y forces is = weight of man + y component of T
∑ Y forces = 588.6N + 49.05N = 637.65N

Friction Force = μ * normal reaction

μ = 84.95 N / 637.65N

μ = 0.13322

e4physics said:
THANKS FOR GUIDING ME - I NEED FURTHER HELP

I have solved this according to your advice. Confusion i have about angle. i did 90-60=30

x Component of T = 98.1* COS 30° = 84.95N
y component of T = 98.1 SIN 30° = 49.05

SUM X forces is only 84.95N (equal and opposite to friction force).
Ok so far, good.
SUM of Y forces is = weight of man + y component of T
∑ Y forces = 588.6N + 49.05N = 637.65N

Friction Force = μ * normal reaction

μ = 84.95 N / 637.65N

μ = 0.13322
the weight of the man acts down on him. In which

direction does the y comp of T act on him? What about the normal force?

the weight of the y component acts down on him and the y component of T acts upwards
so ∑ Y forces = 588.6N - 49.05N = 539.55

normal force will be equal in magnitude t the y foces

μ = 84.95 N / 539.55N = 0.1574
HAVE I UNDERSTOOD IT CORRECT LY??

e4physics said:
the weight of the y component acts down on him and the y component of T acts upwards
so ∑ Y forces = 588.6N - 49.05N = 539.55

normal force will be equal in magnitude t the y foces

μ = 84.95 N / 539.55N = 0.1574

HAVE I UNDERSTOOD IT CORRECT LY??
YES, I think so, considering that the problem is not worded correctly or you copied it down wrong. The value of the static friction coefficient that you have calculated, which should be rounded to 0.16, is the minimum value required to prevent the man from sliding rightward. The actual value could be much greater than that, but the friction force would be the same 84.95 N.

-The Phantom

Likes 1 person

1. What is equilibrium?

Equilibrium is a state in which all forces acting on a system balance out, resulting in no overall acceleration or movement. In other words, the net force on the system is equal to zero.

2. How is equilibrium related to friction?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and can prevent an object from reaching equilibrium. In order for a system to be in equilibrium, the forces of friction must be balanced with other forces acting on the system.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction in a system?

The amount of friction in a system is affected by the types of surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the roughness of the surfaces. Other factors such as temperature and the presence of lubricants can also influence friction.

4. How can friction be minimized in a system?

Friction can be minimized by using smoother surfaces, reducing the force pressing the surfaces together, and using lubricants to reduce the amount of contact between surfaces. Additionally, reducing motion and avoiding rough surfaces can also decrease friction.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding equilibrium and friction?

Understanding equilibrium and friction is important in many fields such as engineering, physics, and materials science. It can be applied to designing structures and machines, predicting the motion of objects, and developing new materials with desired friction properties. It is also relevant in everyday situations such as driving a car, walking on a slippery surface, and playing sports.