1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilibrium Lab

1. Mar 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

COCL4 + 6H2 <=> Co(H20) +4CL

blue <=> pink

Question: Add a very small amount of AgNO3 to test tube #6. Stopper the test tube and shake.

The solution in test tube turned pink, so I interpreted that as a shift to the products. Also, a precipitate (proper term? a solid was present...) formed.

3. The attempt at a solution

Now I have to offer an explanation for why this occurred. It seems as though the Ag+ is slightly soluble in Cl-, and the Cl is found on the product side, so was the Cl consumed somehow and thus produced CoCl42-?

To me that doesn't seem reasonable.

EDIT: I somehow thought myself into a circle, because CoCl42- wouldn't have been produced, for if it had the solution should have turned blue right? I'm fairly sure my explanation should hinge on the fact that Ag+is only slightly soluble with Cl-, but I don't want to go off on a tangent either, so if I'm horribly misguided please advise.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2009 #2
    I'm using this thread as a sort of running journal. If that is unacceptable, for some reason, please do inform me.

New equation:

2AgNO3(s) + 6H2O(al) + 2CoCl4(al)2- <=> Co(h2O)6(al)2+ + 8Cl(al)- + Co(NO3)2 (al) + 2Ag (s) + energy

How many different ways can the equilibrium be shifted to the right? i.e. Removal of product, addition of reactant and removal of energy.

4. Mar 21, 2009 #3
    The charges on the new equation don't balance. Looks like more Co(H20)6 (al) 2+ will have to be produced, and if that holds true then I can explain the colour change.

5. Mar 21, 2009 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

None of the reaction you have written so far is correct.

What happens in the solution containing Ag+ and Cl-?

6. Mar 21, 2009 #5

CoCl42- + 6HOH + 4AgNO3(s) <=> Co(HOH)62+ + 4AgCl(s) + 4NO3- + energy

Is this equation correct?

7. Mar 21, 2009 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Much better, but not necesarilly correct.

AgNO3 is well soluble. And no need to put some fancy looking dihydrogen monoxide HOH in the equation :wink:

8. Mar 21, 2009 #7
    Doesn't HOH = H2O? I just found it easier to type HOH, so I did. Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook