How do you solve for the mass of a hanging object with two given forces?

In summary, the student is trying to solve for the mass of the object using the given information, but is having trouble getting the angle between the string and force to work correctly. Once he changes the axis to make the string perpendicular to the x-axis, he is able to get the right answer.
Whotto

Homework Statement

A mass suspended by a string is held 24o from vertical by a force of 13.8N as shown. Find the mass.

[PLAIN]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3421/problem32.jpg

2. The attempt at a solution

[PLAIN]http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/6100/attemptv.jpg

I've split it up the two given forces (F, and FT) by their axis and got the two equations:

1. [tex]13.8N Sin\ominus + F_{T}Cos24 = mg[/tex]2. [tex]13.8N Cos\ominus = F_{T}Sin24[/tex]

Continuing on to solving for FT with equation two, I get

3. [tex]F_{T} = \frac{Sin24}{13.8N Cos\ominus}[/tex]

I plug equation 3 into 1 to get

[tex]13.8N Sin\ominus + \frac{Sin24}{13.8N Cos\ominus}Cos24 = mg[/tex]

and solving for m to get:

[tex]\frac{13.8N Sin\ominus 13.8N Cos\ominus + Sin24Cos24}{9.8m/s^{2}} = m[/tex]

3. Where I'm stuck

I can't get theta to solve for m. I have tried to get it through geometry and any other ways I could think of. Am I missing information in order to solve this problem, or am I just not doing this correctly?

Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Resolve Forces in tangential direction and equate them no need of the angle you assumed.
Take coordinate axis as y=tension x=F this solution is possible if angle between F and Tension is 90

Aditya Tarey said:
Resolve Forces in tangential direction and equate them no need of the angle you assumed.
Take coordinate axis as y=tension x=F this solution is possible if angle between F and Tension is 90

Thanks for your reply!

But the diagram does not tell me the angle is 90. Wouldn't that mean I cannot assume it is 90?

otherwise angle should be given. Always take coordinate axis in such a way that variables in question are reduced this is the concept to minimize the time you take for problem solving.

All right, seems fairly odd to me that they would go against what teachers have taught.

Thanks!

You must have seen problems on projectile motion on an incline . What coordinate axis did you choose?

I got the answer now.

I have thought about why we would change the axis for the inclined planes, but that is due to the fact we knew the Normal force is perpendicular to the surface. The confusion that I had with this problem is that there is no indication that the angle between the string and force is 90 degrees.

But once I changed the axis to make the string perpendicular to the x axis, I got the right answer.

Nevermind me, I'm too picky.

Your help has been much appreciated Aditya Tarey!

What is equilibrium of a hanging mass?

Equilibrium of a hanging mass refers to the state in which the forces acting on the mass are balanced, resulting in no net movement or acceleration.

What factors affect the equilibrium of a hanging mass?

The equilibrium of a hanging mass is affected by the weight of the mass, the tension in the rope or string, and the force of gravity acting on the mass.

How do you calculate the tension in the rope or string?

The tension in the rope or string can be calculated using the equation T = mg + ma, where T is the tension, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the mass.

What happens to the equilibrium if the mass is moved?

If the mass is moved, the equilibrium will be disturbed and the forces acting on the mass will no longer be balanced. This will result in either upward or downward movement of the mass until a new equilibrium is reached.

How is equilibrium of a hanging mass used in real life?

Equilibrium of a hanging mass is used in various real-life applications, including construction of bridges and buildings, determining the weight of objects, and designing pulley systems. It is also important in understanding the stability of objects and structures.