Equilibrium of Forces in a Hemisphere: Solving for Angles and Ratios

In summary, a uniform thin straight bar AE is at rest inside a hemisphere in a specific configuration with the center of the hemisphere on the vertical plane containing points A and B, and the upper plane BC kept horizontal. The angle ABC = \theta and angle ABD = \alpha , angle BAD = \beta. The value of \alpha is 90o, the relation between \beta and \theta is \beta = \theta, \theta = \pi/4 is impossible, \theta = 5\pi/24 is impossible, and in case of \theta = \pi/6, the suitable ratio of the length of the bar to the diameter of the hemisphere is 2 / sqrt 3.
harimakenji

Homework Statement

A uniform thin straight bar AE is at rest inside a hemisphere in the configuration, under the assumption the friction between the bar and the hemisphere is negligible. This configuration is possible as long as the length of the bar remains within a limited range. The center of the hemisphere is on the vertical plane containing the two points A and B. The upper plane BC of the hemisphere is kept horizontal. The direction AD and BD mean the direction of the force acting on the bar from the hemisphere at point A and that on the bar at point B respectively. DG is the direction of the force of gravity acting on the bar, where G is the center of gravity of the bar. The angle ABC = [tex]\theta[/tex] means the angle between the bar and the horizontal line, and angle ABD = [tex]\alpha[/tex] , angle BAD = [tex]\beta[/tex]

a. find the value of [tex]\alpha[/tex]
b. find the relation between [tex]\beta[/tex] and [tex]\theta[/tex]
c. is the case [tex]\theta[/tex] = [tex]\pi[/tex]/4 possible or impossible ?
d. is the case [tex]\theta[/tex] = 5[tex]\pi[/tex]/24 posible or impossible ?
e. in case of [tex]\theta[/tex] = [tex]\pi[/tex]/6, find the suitable ratio of the length of the bar to the diameter of the hemisphere

configuration.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i'm not sure about my work...

a. because [tex]\alpha[/tex] is the angle of normal force, i think [tex]\alpha[/tex] = 90o

b. the normal reaction at A is perpendicular to the tangent at that point so OA is the radius of the sphere. OB is also the radius so [tex]\beta[/tex] = [tex]\theta[/tex]

c. [tex]\theta[/tex] = [tex]\pi[/tex]/4 is impossible because AOB must be right angle.

d. [tex]\theta[/tex] = 5[tex]\pi[/tex]/24 is impossible because the total angle of ADB will not be 180o

e. don't know how to start...

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i think the answers for first four questions are right.

sorry can't help for the last one since i don't know either.

thx for verifying my answer

anybody can give me a clue for the last one?

thanks in advance

hello...

sorry to bump up but i really need help here

tq

anyone can help with the last question?

harimakenji said:
anyone can help with the last question?
Do you mean the ration of AE/BC ?

Yes

Have any clues, rl.bhat?

thanks

EDIT : the answer is 2 / sqrt 3

DG is perpendicular to BC.
There fore angle DGA = 120 degrees.
Angle DOB = 60 degrees. Hence angle ODG = 30 degrees.
Since BC = AD. applying sine rule in the triangle ADG
AG/sin 30 = AD / sin 120
And AE = 2*AG.
Now find the ratio AE / BC

I get it now

THANKS RL.BHAT !

What is equilibrium of forces?

Equilibrium of forces refers to the state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in a net force of zero. This means that the object is either at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium?

In static equilibrium, an object is at rest and all forces acting on it are balanced. In dynamic equilibrium, an object is moving at a constant velocity and all forces acting on it are balanced.

How do you determine if an object is in equilibrium?

An object is in equilibrium if the vector sum of all forces acting on it is zero. This can be determined by using the principles of Newton's laws of motion and vector addition.

What is the importance of equilibrium of forces in physics?

Equilibrium of forces is a fundamental concept in physics that helps us understand the behavior of objects and systems. It is used to analyze the forces acting on an object and to predict its motion.

Can an object be in equilibrium if it is moving?

Yes, an object can be in dynamic equilibrium if it is moving at a constant velocity. This means that the forces acting on the object are balanced and there is no net force causing a change in its motion.