1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilibrium of Forces

1. Apr 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Diagram 4 shows a 2 kg mirror hung on a wall using strings of the same length . The mirror is in equilibrium state.

a) On Diagram 4 , label the force that act on the mirror .

b) Calculate the tension of the string , T that act on the mirror .

c) Suggest a modification to be made so that the string can withstand a larger maximum force .

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I had only drawn a free body diagram and I am already stuck and don't know what to do... Help me please , any solution to this question would be greatly aprreciated .

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2013 #2
    Solution

First we must take the vertical component of the tension forces acting on the mirror. Let the mass of mirror be m
    Then
    2TSin45=mg
    solve for T by substituting the values.
    A modification which can be made is connecting the strings parallely

4. Apr 7, 2013 #3
    Thanks mate for replying ..... In the equation , where does 2 come from , does it come from the mirror which is 2 kg since it is an equilibrium state . Another thing is can you explain why connecting the strings parallely enables it to withstand a larger maximum force

5. Apr 7, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The 2 is because there are two strings. If the tension is T, each each string is supplying an upwards force of T sin (45) = T/√2. Since that balances the weight of the mirror, what is T?

If the strings were vertical with tension U, what would the equation be?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted