Finding the Equilibrium of Roller Forces: How Do We Solve This?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving forces at point B and C adding up to 31lbs. The person is initially unsure of how to solve it, but eventually realizes they need to use moments to find the force at each point. They successfully solve the problem and declare their success.
SteelDirigibl

Homework Statement

Screenshot2011-02-23at24451AM.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a little lost how to begin. I know these forces at B and C add up to 31lbs, but I don't know where else to go. I understand the simpler ones like center of gravity on a car and forces on the wheels but this one loses me

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi SteelDirigibl! :smile:

Hint: moments :wink:

I think I just needed to get some sleep and work on it!

So I did moment about C first, where 31*sin(45)5.5=5.2*x

where x is the force at b.

Then we do the same thing but for the moment about b, so 31*(sin(45)5.5+5.2)=5.2x
where x is the force at C.

annnd I got it right :cool:

1. What is the definition of equilibrium of a roller?

The equilibrium of a roller refers to the state in which the roller is in perfect balance, with no net external forces acting on it. This means that the roller is not moving or accelerating in any direction.

2. How is the equilibrium of a roller achieved?

The equilibrium of a roller is achieved when the sum of all the forces acting on it is equal to zero. This means that the forces pushing or pulling the roller in different directions cancel each other out, resulting in a state of balance.

3. Can a roller be in equilibrium if it is moving?

No, a roller cannot be in equilibrium if it is moving. In order for the roller to be in equilibrium, it must be at rest or moving at a constant velocity. Any changes in velocity or direction would indicate that there is a net external force acting on the roller, thus breaking its equilibrium.

4. What factors can affect the equilibrium of a roller?

The equilibrium of a roller can be affected by several factors, including the weight of the roller, the force of gravity, and any external forces such as friction or air resistance. The shape and size of the roller can also play a role in its equilibrium.

5. How does the equilibrium of a roller relate to Newton's First Law of Motion?

The equilibrium of a roller is a direct result of Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia. This law states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will continue in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force. In other words, an object in equilibrium will remain in equilibrium unless a net external force is applied to it.