Finding the Equilibrium of a Spring in Water with a Connected Block

In summary, a block of wood with a density of 650 kg/m^3 is connected to a light spring with a force constant of 160 N/m, which is resting vertically on the bottom of a beaker of water. The block-spring system reaches static equilibrium and the question asks for the elongation of the spring. By drawing a free body diagram and considering the upthrust, weight, and restoring force from the spring, it is determined that the elongation of the spring is -16.5 cm. This negative value is due to the downward direction of the restoring force.
songoku

Homework Statement

A light spring with a force constant k = 160 N/m rest vertically on the bottom of a large beaker of water (a). A 5 kg block of wood (density = 650 kg/m^3) is connected to the spring, and the block-spring system is allowed to come to static equilibrium (b). What is the elongation [tex]\Delta L[/tex] of the spring?

spring.jpg

Homework Equations

F = kx

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have idea to start. The spring rests on the bottom so when the mass is connected, I think the spring should be compressed rather than become longer. Maybe we should consider external force (I doubt this myself because there is no such thing in the question).
And why does the question mention density? The only thing I can come up with is to find volume of the block and I absolutely clueless what to do with the volume...

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What keeps the wood from floating to the surface of the water? Draw a free body diagram of the block.

Hi kuruman

Maybe I get it. From the free body diagram, there are 3 forces that acts on the block which are weight, upthrust, and the restoring force from the spring.

[tex]\rho *g*V + kx = mg[/tex]

From the above equation, I got x = - 16.5 cm. I want to ask why I got negative value?
Maybe I should use : restoring force = - kx, instead of kx ?

Thanks

If up is positive and down is negative and the sum of all the forces must be zero,

+ρgV - kx - mg = 0

The buoyant force is up, gravity is down and the spring force is down because the spring stretches up to keep the block from floating to the surface.

Hi kuruman

Oh I see. The direction of the restoring force is downward

Thanks a lot for your help :smile:

What is equilibrium of spring?

Equilibrium of spring refers to the state of balance achieved by a spring when the forces acting on it are equal and opposite, resulting in a stable position.

How is equilibrium of spring calculated?

To calculate the equilibrium of spring, you can use the formula F = kx, where F is the force applied to the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its resting position.

What factors affect the equilibrium of spring?

The equilibrium of spring can be affected by the spring's material, length, thickness, and the force applied to it. These factors can change the spring constant and therefore impact the equilibrium position.

Can equilibrium of spring be achieved in a non-linear spring?

Yes, equilibrium of spring can be achieved in a non-linear spring. However, the calculation for the equilibrium position may be more complex as the spring constant may vary with displacement.

Why is equilibrium of spring important?

Equilibrium of spring is important in many engineering and scientific applications. It allows us to understand and predict the behavior of springs in various systems, such as in machines, vehicles, and structures.