Equilibrium Physics Help: Calculating Kp for a Hydrogen Iodide Reaction

This means that x moles of HI have been consumed and x moles of H2 and x moles of I2 have been formed. The mole ratio of H2 to HI is x/x = 1, and the mole ratio of I2 to HI is x/x = 1. Therefore, the pressure of H2 and I2 will be equal to the pressure of HI, which is p. So, in summary, at equilibrium, the pressure of H2 and I2 is p, and the pressure of HI is reduced to (b-x)p/b, resulting in the equilibrium constant Kp = (b-x)^2/b^2.
terainfizik

Homework Statement

In an experiment , b mole of hydrogen iodide were put into a sealed vessel under pressure p . At equilibrium, x mole of the hydrogen iodide had dissociated , the reaction being represented by the following equation ,
Express in terms of b and x of Kp .

Homework Equations

2HI(g) <---> H2(g) + I2(g)

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my solution :
Reactant:
Before experiment : b mole of hydrogen iodide under pressure , p
At equilibrium : x mole of hydrogen iodide
P(pressure) for hydrogen iodide : [(p/b).(x)]^2

Products:
Before experiment : unknown
At equilibrium : I conclude that mole ratio of total products is the ( b-x )
mol . Therefore ,
P(pressure) for gas hyrogen and gas iodine : [(b-x).(p/b)]^2

Answer:
Kp = ([(b-x).(p/b)]^2 ) / ([(p/b).(x)]^2)
= (b^2) / (b-x)^2

If I am wrong , please guide me .

Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody guide me here ?

Somebody help me please .

Pay careful attention to the question: "x mole of the hydrogen iodide had dissociated ".

1. What is equilibrium in physics?

Equilibrium in physics refers to a state where the forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in a stable and unchanging system. This means that the object is either at rest or moving with a constant velocity.

2. How do you calculate equilibrium in physics?

To calculate equilibrium in physics, you need to consider the forces acting on an object and use the principle of equilibrium, which states that the vector sum of all forces acting on an object must equal zero. This can be represented in the equation ΣF = 0, where ΣF is the sum of all forces.

3. What are the types of equilibrium in physics?

There are three types of equilibrium in physics: stable, unstable, and neutral. In stable equilibrium, the object will return to its original position if slightly disturbed. In unstable equilibrium, the object will move away from its original position if slightly disturbed. In neutral equilibrium, the object remains in its new position even if slightly disturbed.

4. How does equilibrium relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Equilibrium is closely related to Newton's laws of motion. The first law of motion states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an unbalanced force, which is essentially the principle of equilibrium. The second law of motion explains how forces can be balanced to maintain equilibrium, and the third law of motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction, which is also applicable in equilibrium situations.

5. What are some real-life examples of equilibrium in physics?

Some real-life examples of equilibrium in physics include a book sitting on a table, a ball rolling at a constant speed on a flat surface, and a car traveling at a constant speed on a straight road. These examples demonstrate how forces are balanced to maintain a stable system and achieve equilibrium.