1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilibrium points

1. May 6, 2007 #1

kreil

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given the system
    [tex]x'(t)=ax(t)-bx(t)y(t)[/tex]
    [tex]y'(t)=-cy(t)+dx(t)y(t)[/tex]

(a) Find the equilibria of the system.
    (b) Choose any positive a,b,c,d. Start close to each equilibrium and find the solution numerically.

3. The attempt at a solution

(a) Solving for x and y in the system, the equilibrium points are x(t)=y(t)=0 and x(t)=c/d, y(t)=a/b.

(b) Choose a=c=0.6 and b=d=0.3. Then the equilibrium points are (x,y)=(0,0) and (x,y)=(2,2). I wrote a fortran program to solve the equations using euler's method, but the values I got back didn't make sense. I figure this is because I am incorrectly choosing the initial values of x and y.

When it says "start close to each equilibrium", does this mean I should choose the initial values of x and y to be something like 0.1 and 2.1? In part (c) I need to graph the solutions so any quick help is appreciated!

Also, this is the program I am using:

REAL*4 T,X,Y,H
    DIMENSION T(11), X(11), Y(11)
    T(1) = 0
    X(1) = 0.1
    Y(1) = 0.1
    H = 1
    DO 1, I=1,11
    T(I+1) = T(I) + H
    X(I+1) = X(I) + H*(0.6*X(I)-0.3*X(I)*Y(I))
    Y(I+1) = Y(I) + H*(0.3*X(I)*Y(I)-0.6*Y(I))
    1 CONTINUE
    WRITE(*,100) (T(I),X(I),Y(I), I=1,11)
    100 FORMAT(1x,3(D24.14))
    END

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?