1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilibrium position

1. Apr 17, 2014 #1
    I want to ask how will the equilibrium position of the system change if water is added to the system? ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1397780805.704254.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2014 #2
    Co^2+(aq.) + 4cl^-1(aq.) =cocl4^2-(aq.)

4. Apr 17, 2014 #3
    The concentration will decrease because the volume will increase. This will make Q lower than the K value so the forward reaction should be favored(shifts right)

5. Apr 18, 2014 #4
    Will the value of Q become smaller the K if the concentration is lower?

6. Apr 18, 2014 #5
    *become greater

7. Apr 18, 2014 #6
    Can you rephrase your question, I'm not sure I understand.

8. Apr 18, 2014 #7

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Quite the opposite, the more diluted the solution, the more dissociated the complex is.

9. Apr 18, 2014 #8
    By adding water the rate of the forward reaction decreases X to the power 2 times while the rate of the backward reaction will decrease only X times so the reaction moves backwards

10. Apr 18, 2014 #9
    Pretend the Keq is 1, and all species' molarity is 1 at the equilibrium. Now do the dilution recalculate Q based on the new concentrations. Compare Q with Keq and reason it out.

11. Apr 20, 2014 #10
    And according to Ostwald's law : degree of dissociation increases by increasing dilution

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted