1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilibrium problem help please

1. Apr 14, 2004 #1
    A uniform horizontal bar of length L = 3 m and weight 232 N is pinned to a vertical wall and supported by a thin wire that makes an angle of theta = 35o with the horizontal. A mass M, with a weight of 355 N, can be moved anywhere along the bar. The wire can withstand a maximum tension of 537 N. What is the maximum possible distance from the wall at which mass M can be placed before the wire breaks?

I believe that this is an equilibrium problem, my problem is that i don't know where to start.

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2004 #2

Homework Helper

This is a static equilibrium problem. There are both rotational and translational considerations. The point pinned to the wall gives a constraint force. The wire gives a force at a moment. The weight of the bar gives a force about a moment. The weight of the mass M gives a force about a moment. Consider rotational equilibrium about the point pinned to the wall.

Draw a free body diagram.
  4. Apr 15, 2004 #3
    I got this one, forgot I asked for help. Thanks!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?