Max Mass for Equilibrium Problem Homework

• Thread starter bluejay1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibrium
In summary, the problem involves finding the maximum mass that can hang from a string attached to a wall at an angle of 50 degrees. The equations Fnetx=0 and Fnety=0 must be used, along with the consideration of torques, to solve the problem. The tension in the vertical section of the string is equal to mg, but in the horizontal section it can be different. The length of the rod, L, is needed to calculate the torques.
bluejay1

Homework Statement

Basically, the string is attached a to a wall at the top right, with a mass m hanging on the other end. It asks to find the max mass m that can hang before bottom of the rod slips.

Homework Equations

Fnetx=0
Fnety=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that Ft=mg for the hanging mass m.
Then for the x forces on the rod: Ft=Ffs
so usFn=mg
But I don't know what to do with the angle 50 degrees. You have to include it somewhere right?
I was thinking us(50)(9.8)(sin50)=m(9.8) but I don't know if that's right.

Thanks
Adam

Attachments

• physics.jpg
    physics.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

There are also torques to consider, which must sum to zero. (The angle will play a role here.)

Also, while the tension in the vertical section of string is mg, in the horizontal section it can be something different.

I was thinking about the torque, but don't you need to know the length of the rod to find them?

Let the rod length be L, and see how the torque equation works out.

1. What is the "Max Mass for Equilibrium Problem Homework"?

The "Max Mass for Equilibrium Problem Homework" is a physics problem that involves determining the maximum mass that can be placed on a lever in order to maintain equilibrium.

2. How do I solve the "Max Mass for Equilibrium Problem Homework"?

To solve the problem, you will need to use the principles of torque and equilibrium. This involves setting up an equation of torque in which the clockwise torque is equal to the counterclockwise torque. From there, you can solve for the unknown variable, which is the maximum mass.

3. What are the key concepts involved in the "Max Mass for Equilibrium Problem Homework"?

The key concepts involved in the problem are torque, equilibrium, and the lever arm. Torque is the measure of the force required to rotate an object around an axis, while equilibrium refers to the state of balance where all forces and torques cancel each other out. The lever arm is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving the "Max Mass for Equilibrium Problem Homework"?

One common mistake is forgetting to take into account the weight of the lever itself. This can throw off the calculations and lead to an incorrect answer. It is also important to make sure that the forces and torques are correctly assigned as either clockwise or counterclockwise.

5. How can I check my answer for the "Max Mass for Equilibrium Problem Homework"?

You can check your answer by plugging your calculated maximum mass into the original equation and making sure that the torques on each side are equal. You can also try solving the problem using a different method or approach to see if you get the same answer.