1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilibrium Problem

1. Jun 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Please see attachment.

2. Relevant equations

Summation F(x)=0

Summation F(y)=0

Summation tau=0

3. The attempt at a solution
    Please see attachment.

I know how to calculate the problem but I don't know the last part of the solution why the examinar choose mu(min)=1. Please help me.Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2010 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have already seen that the force of friction is the same 4N at all points. That's what's required to keep the system at equilibrium. Imagine starting with a large μ and reducing it gradually. Slipping will occur at the point where the maximum value that static friction can have (=μ R) goes just below the value 4 N first. So if you write

μR = 4 N,

at which of the three points A, B and C μR falls below 4 N first as you make μ smaller?

4. Jun 12, 2010 #3
    Thank you very much for explaination.Firstly I don't understand so I read many times your concept. Now I understand. I really appreciate you. Sorry for replying late.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook