Solve Equilibrium Problem with Ammonium Phosphate

• Thread starter Grove1996
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibrium
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the concentration of a contaminant, which has been identified as ammonium phosphate, in a water sample. The probe results show levels of 407.14 mg/L for ammonium and 9.42 mg/L for phosphate. The person is unsure of how to determine the original amount of ammonium phosphate and its molarity, as their usual method of using an "ICE" table is not applicable in this case. They are seeking help and clarification on the process.
Grove1996
Problem:

I've been working on my assignment and the purpose of it is to determine the concentration of a contaminant present in a sample of water. I've discovered the contaminant is ammonium phosphate with the levels of each being 200% higher than normal water. I obtained these results using an ion-selective electrode and a colorimeter.

Probe Results:
Ammonium: 407.14 mg/L
Phosphate: 9.42 mg/L

I have to determine the amount of ammonium phosphate originally put into the sample of water, and its concentration (molarity). Usually I would do an "ICE" table but I don't know how much ammonium phosphate has originally been put in. I've done the stoichometry and determined that the 3:1 ratio between ammonium and phosphate does not exist (as the probe results suggest). Regardless, I have to determine the amount originally put in (preferably in grams) and the molarity of the solution.

I have no idea where to start, as I said before I would usually do an ICE table but that will not work in this case.

TLDR:

Probe readings show a total of approximately 407 mg/L of ammonium and 9.5 mg/L of phosphate. What process would I do in order to determine the original amount put in, and the molarity of the concentration.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
how did you come to the conclusion that it is ammonium phosphate? Not challenging you, but your answer my help me understand your procedure better and potentially help you.

1. What is the formula for ammonium phosphate?

The formula for ammonium phosphate is (NH4)3PO4.

2. How do you solve an equilibrium problem with ammonium phosphate?

To solve an equilibrium problem with ammonium phosphate, you need to write out the balanced equation for the dissociation of ammonium phosphate in water. Then, set up an ICE (Initial, Change, Equilibrium) table and use the given equilibrium constant and initial concentrations to solve for the equilibrium concentrations of each species. Finally, check your answer by plugging the equilibrium concentrations back into the equilibrium expression and ensuring that it equals the given equilibrium constant.

3. What is the equilibrium constant for the dissociation of ammonium phosphate?

The equilibrium constant for the dissociation of ammonium phosphate is Kc = [NH4+]^3[PO43-]/[H3PO4].

4. How do you calculate the pH of a solution containing ammonium phosphate?

To calculate the pH of a solution containing ammonium phosphate, you first need to determine the concentration of each species (NH4+, HPO42-, and PO43-) at equilibrium using the ICE table method. Then, use the equilibrium concentrations to set up and solve the appropriate equilibrium expression for the dissociation of ammonium phosphate. Finally, take the negative logarithm of the hydrogen ion concentration to find the pH of the solution.

5. What are some common applications of ammonium phosphate?

Ammonium phosphate is commonly used as a fertilizer in agriculture due to its high phosphorus and nitrogen content. It is also used in the production of fire extinguishers, as a component in some cleaning products, and as a nutrient source in certain types of animal feed.