1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilibrium question on review assignment, need help quick (I have a test tomorrow).

1. Jan 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rod of negligible mass is supported by a hinge at the wall by a horizontal wire fastened at a 30 degree angle one-third of the way along the rod. A weight of 12 N hangs from the left end of the rod.

a) Find the tension (T) in the horizontal wire. (T = 62.2 N)
    b) Find the magnitude and direction of the force that the hinge exerts on the end of the rod. (FH = 63 N, 11 degrees NW)

2. Relevant equations
    Sum of the Torques clockwise = Sum of the torques counterclockwise (ETcw = ETccw)
    Basic trig like sin, cos and tan.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved a) already.
    (Tcos60*1/3d) = (12cos30*d)
    (T*0.1666666) = (10.39230485)
    T= 62.3 N

(Here is a picture of the diagram; it's not very clear)
    http://twitpic.com/bzeo8w
    The angle the wire makes with the rod is 30 and the angle the weight makes with the rod is 60.
    Question b) however I am completely stuck on, it would be great if someone could explain how to do it step by step.
    http://twitpic.com/bzeo9g
    I tried to find FHy and FHx however nothing made sense to me and I've spent three hours on this.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2013 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Equilibrium question on review assignment, need help quick (I have a test tomorro

There are only three forces acting on the rod:
    The weight hanging from the end.

The tension of the wire.

The force exerted by the hinge.​

It's a fairly straight forward equilibrium problem .

4. Jan 29, 2013 #3
    Re: Equilibrium question on review assignment, need help quick (I have a test tomorro

I know but I don't know why the answer is 11 degrees NW, that's where I am confused.

5. Jan 29, 2013 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In my opinion, using a compass direction here is rather strange.

I get the the hinge exerts a force of 63.347 Newtons outward from the wall at an angle of 10.9197° above the horizontal. If that's considered NorthWest, then fine.

6. Jan 29, 2013 #5

How do you get 63.347 N for the force that the hinge exerts? Sorry for asking all these questions, this question is just really confusing me though.

7. Jan 30, 2013 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[itex]\displaystyle 63.347\approx\sqrt{62.2^2+12^2\,}[/itex]

8. Jan 30, 2013 #7

Thank you so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook