Calculate the tension in the tie-rope between the rod and the wall

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a 250-kg block supported by a cable attached to a 100-kg rod that can pivot at the base. The first part of the problem asks for the tension in the tie-rope between the rod and the wall, and the second part asks for the horizontal and vertical forces exerted on the base of the rod. The conversation includes a diagram and equations used to solve the problem, with a focus on balancing forces and torques to reach equilibrium.
Lord Dark

Homework Statement

Hi again ,, My third Question of the day :
A 250-kg block is supported by a cable attached to a rod of mass 100 kg that can pivot
at the base.
a) Calculate the tension in the tie-rope between the rod and the
wall if it is holding the system in the position shown in Figure.
b) Find the horizontal and vertical forces exerted on the base of
the rod.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

in the attachment you'll see the forces I assigned to the system ,, is it right ?? or should I have T2 (above mg) ?? if not I think the question will be too easy:
Fnet(x)=Fh-Tcos(20)
Fnet(y)=Fv+Tsin(20)-mg-Mg (but Tsin(20) = mg) so i can get T and Fv and Fh without even using the Torque ,, so any ideas ??

Attachments

• Equilibrium.JPG
    Equilibrium.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 396
  • Forces.JPG
    Forces.JPG
    4.6 KB · Views: 378
Physics news on Phys.org
Lord Dark said:
in the attachment you'll see the forces I assigned to the system ,, is it right ??

Where is the force which is acting along the rod? What balances T(cos 20) in your first diagram?

Consider the sum of the torques about the pivot.

Equilibrium means that they balance.

Shooting Star said:
Where is the force which is acting along the rod? What balances T(cos 20) in your first diagram?

you mean mg ??

LowlyPion said:
Consider the sum of the torques about the pivot.

Equilibrium means that they balance.

yea I got it ,, i thought at first that T(sin20) = mg but now i know what is my mistake ,, thanks guys

1. How do I calculate the tension in the tie-rope?

The tension in a tie-rope can be calculated using the formula T = W + F, where T is the tension, W is the weight of the object being supported, and F is the force applied to the object. In this case, the force is the weight of the object pulling down on the tie-rope and the weight is the force being supported by the tie-rope.

2. What factors affect the tension in the tie-rope?

The tension in a tie-rope is affected by the weight of the object being supported, the force being applied to the object, and the angle at which the tie-rope is attached to the object. The tension will be greater if the weight or force is increased, or if the angle of the tie-rope is smaller.

3. How does the length of the tie-rope impact the tension?

The length of the tie-rope has a direct impact on the tension. The longer the tie-rope, the more it will stretch and the more tension it will experience. This is because the weight and force are being spread out over a greater distance.

4. Can the tension in the tie-rope be greater than the weight of the object?

Yes, the tension in the tie-rope can be greater than the weight of the object. This can happen if there is an external force acting on the object, such as wind or a person pushing on it. In this case, the tension in the tie-rope would be equal to the weight of the object plus the external force.

5. How can I ensure the tie-rope is strong enough to support the weight of the object?

In order to ensure the tie-rope is strong enough to support the weight of the object, you will need to know the weight of the object and the maximum weight the tie-rope can support. This information can be obtained from the manufacturer or by testing the strength of the tie-rope. It is always important to use a tie-rope that is strong enough to handle the weight of the object to prevent accidents or damage.