Find the tension in the rope and forces exerted by the floor

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a step ladder with a hanging weight and a rope. The conversation includes equations and attempts at solving for the tension in the rope. The solution is eventually found to be T=96.7N. There is also a mention of a mistake in the original calculation, as well as a question about a shorter method for solving the problem.
deathnote93
I'm new here, so please bear with me.

Homework Statement

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/9325/questionq.png​
[/URL]

Verbatim from my textbook:
As shown in Fig.7.40, the two sides of a step ladder BA and CA are 1.6 m long and
hinged at A. A rope DE, 0.5 m is tied half way up. A weight 40 kg is suspended from
a point F, 1.2 m from B along the ladder BA. Assuming the floor to be frictionless
and neglecting the weight of the ladder, find the tension in the rope and forces
exerted by the floor on the ladder. (Take g = 9.8 m/s2)

Homework Equations

Condition for equilibrium: Net force=0 and net Torque([tex]\tau[/tex])=0
[tex]\tau[/tex]=rF sin[tex]\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/5815/questiono.png​
[/URL]

Let the angle BAC be 2x, tension in string be T, hung weight of 40kg be W, and the reaction forces of the floor be R and S.

Then, for the equilibrium of AB(net torque=0):
0.4W*sinx + 0.8T*cosx = 4Rsinx which on simplification led to
T = 2/3 *tanx(4R-W) ------(1)

For the equilibrium of AC (Net torque=0)
0.6*T*cosx = 1.6*S*sinx
T = 8S/3 tanx --------(2)

For vertical equilibrium of ladders, W = R + S -------(3)

Equating 1 and 2,
R - S = W/4 --------(4)

Solving 3 and 4, I got R=245 and S=147 which are correct answers.

The next question is to find the tension, which is what I'm having trouble with. Using either the law of sines or the law of cosines gives me x=24.6 degrees, and substituting that into eqns 1 or two gives me the wrong answer for the tension - the correct answer according to the book is T=96.7N.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
AE and BD are 0.8 long, not 0.6, so your value for x is wrong.

The values of R and S are independent both the length of the ladder and the length of
the rope BTW. This is easy to see by considering the torque around F on the entire ladder

That sucks, I don't usually do stupid things like that. Thank you very much.

Also - is there a shorter way to do this problem?

1. What is tension in a rope?

Tension in a rope is the force that pulls the rope taut when it is attached to two or more objects. It is the result of the forces exerted on the rope by those objects.

2. How is tension in a rope calculated?

Tension in a rope can be calculated using the formula T = F * cosθ, where T is the tension, F is the force applied to the rope, and θ is the angle between the rope and the direction of the force.

3. How does the tension in a rope affect the objects it is attached to?

The tension in a rope can cause the objects it is attached to to move or accelerate, depending on the direction and magnitude of the force applied. It is also responsible for keeping the objects in equilibrium.

4. What are the forces exerted by the floor?

The forces exerted by the floor include normal force, which is the force perpendicular to the surface of the floor that supports an object's weight, and frictional force, which opposes the motion of an object as it slides or rolls on the floor.

5. How do you find the tension in a rope and forces exerted by the floor in a real-life scenario?

In a real-life scenario, the tension in a rope and forces exerted by the floor can be found by measuring the weight of the objects attached to the rope and the angle of the rope, and using the above mentioned formulas to calculate the respective forces.