1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Equilibrium question

1. Jan 30, 2010 #1
    we put 64 grams of SO2 and 32 grams of oxygen
    it reaches equilibrium in 1000k
    what is the equlibrium constnant
    [tex]\frac{(\frac{0.85}{5})^2}{(\frac{1}{5})^2\frac{1}{5}}=3.61[/tex]

but the book says 279
    why
    ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Is this whole question? I am sure it is not, I am sure there were more information provided that could be used to calculate final amounts of all three gases.

--

4. Jan 30, 2010 #3
    you are correct i forgot to mention the formula
    2SO2+O2=2SO3
    and we put 0.85 moles of SO3

5. Jan 30, 2010 #4

Borek

This is probably still not all or you are not quoting the information properly. So far you have listed substances that were put into the mixture, I believe these amounts are not what was present at equilibrium.

--
    methods

6. Jan 30, 2010 #5
    i forgot to mention that this whole thing in 5 litter container

7. Jan 30, 2010 #6

Borek

And this is probably still not all. If the mixture was left to react till it reached equilibrium, final concentrations are not the initial ones. So far you have listed what was put into the container - that's not enough to calculate final concentrations.

Any other information you have forgot to mention?

--

8. Jan 30, 2010 #7
    sorrry again
    in the end we find 0.85 moles of SO3

9. Jan 30, 2010 #8

Borek

You won't get much more from me: use stoichiometry to calculate how much sulfur dioxide and oxygen were left, then use these values to calculate concentrations (or partial pressures) of all gases.

--

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook