Equilibrium Constnant Discrepancy: SO2 + O2 -> Kc = 279

• Thread starter nhrock3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibrium
In summary: I am sorry, I do not have enough information to provide a summary for this conversation. It is incomplete and there are missing pieces of information that are necessary to accurately summarize the content.
nhrock3
we put 64 grams of SO2 and 32 grams of oxygen
it reaches equilibrium in 1000k
what is the equlibrium constnant
[tex]\frac{(\frac{0.85}{5})^2}{(\frac{1}{5})^2\frac{1}{5}}=3.61[/tex]

but the book says 279
why
?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this whole question? I am sure it is not, I am sure there were more information provided that could be used to calculate final amounts of all three gases.

--

you are correct i forgot to mention the formula
2SO2+O2=2SO3
and we put 0.85 moles of SO3

This is probably still not all or you are not quoting the information properly. So far you have listed substances that were put into the mixture, I believe these amounts are not what was present at equilibrium.

--
methods

i forgot to mention that this whole thing in 5 litter container

And this is probably still not all. If the mixture was left to react till it reached equilibrium, final concentrations are not the initial ones. So far you have listed what was put into the container - that's not enough to calculate final concentrations.

Any other information you have forgot to mention?

--

sorrry again
in the end we find 0.85 moles of SO3

You won't get much more from me: use stoichiometry to calculate how much sulfur dioxide and oxygen were left, then use these values to calculate concentrations (or partial pressures) of all gases.

--

1. What is equilibrium constant discrepancy?

Equilibrium constant discrepancy is the difference between the calculated equilibrium constant (Kc) for a chemical reaction and the actual experimental value. It is a measure of how closely the reaction follows the predicted equilibrium behavior.

2. Why is SO2 + O2 used as an example for equilibrium constant discrepancy?

SO2 + O2 is a commonly used example for equilibrium constant discrepancy because it is a reversible reaction that is well-studied and has a known experimental equilibrium constant. This makes it a good model for understanding the concept of equilibrium constant discrepancy.

3. How is equilibrium constant discrepancy calculated?

Equilibrium constant discrepancy is calculated by taking the absolute value of the difference between the experimental equilibrium constant and the calculated equilibrium constant. This value is then divided by the experimental equilibrium constant and multiplied by 100 to get a percentage difference.

4. What factors can contribute to equilibrium constant discrepancy?

There are several factors that can contribute to equilibrium constant discrepancy, including experimental errors, incomplete reactions, and changes in temperature or pressure during the course of the reaction. Additionally, if the reaction is not at equilibrium, the calculated equilibrium constant may not accurately reflect the true equilibrium behavior.

5. How can equilibrium constant discrepancy be minimized?

To minimize equilibrium constant discrepancy, it is important to ensure that the reaction is at equilibrium and that experimental conditions are carefully controlled. This includes keeping temperature and pressure constant and ensuring that the reaction is allowed to reach completion. Minimizing experimental errors and using more precise measurement techniques can also help reduce equilibrium constant discrepancy.