Dynamic Equilibrium: Is System Still At Equilibrium During Shift?

• Thread starter ThomasMagnus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibrium
In summary, Le Chatelier's principle is used to predict the effects of changes in temperature, pressure, and concentration on a system at equilibrium. It states that if a system at equilibrium experiences a change, it will shift its equilibrium in order to compensate for the change. This is seen in changes in concentration, where the system will produce more of a species if its concentration is lowered or removed, and produce less of a species if its concentration is increased or added. The system is still considered to be at equilibrium during this shift, as it is trying to work its way back to equilibrium by producing more or less of a species.
ThomasMagnus
Hi there, I had a question on dynamic equilibrium (I know this is sort of a chem question so I didn't know where to put it)

I was reading this online

Le Chatelier's principle allows us to predict the effects of changes in temperature, pressure, and concentration on a system at equilibrium. It states that if a system at equilibrium experiences a change, the system will shift its equilibrium to try to compensate for the change.

* changing the concentration (only with gases or aqueous solutions):
If you lower the concentration or remove some of a species, the system will shift to produce more of that species. On the other hand, if you increase the concentration or add some of a species, the system will shift to produce less of that species. For example, in the equation:

My question: During the "shift", is the system still at equilibrium, or is it attempting to work its way back to equilibrium by producing more of the lower quantity species?

Thanks for the help! :)

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is Dynamic Equilibrium?

Dynamic equilibrium is a state in a system where the forward and backward reactions occur at the same rate, resulting in no overall change in the concentrations of products and reactants. It is a balance between the rate of the forward reaction and the rate of the reverse reaction.

2. How is Dynamic Equilibrium achieved?

Dynamic equilibrium is achieved when a reversible reaction is allowed to proceed in a closed system, meaning no substances can enter or leave the system. This allows for the concentrations of products and reactants to reach a steady state where the forward and backward reactions occur at the same rate.

3. What happens to a system at equilibrium during a shift?

During a shift, the equilibrium in a system may be disturbed by changes in temperature, pressure, or concentration of reactants or products. This can cause the equilibrium to shift in either the forward or backward direction until a new equilibrium is reached.

4. Is a system still at equilibrium during a shift?

No, a system is not at equilibrium during a shift. A shift in equilibrium implies that the system is moving towards a new equilibrium, which will occur when the rates of the forward and backward reactions are once again equal.

5. How can you determine if a system is at dynamic equilibrium?

A system is at dynamic equilibrium when the concentrations of products and reactants remain constant over time. This can be determined by measuring these concentrations at different intervals and observing if they remain the same. Additionally, the forward and backward reactions should have equal rates at equilibrium.