Equilibrium Question - at what rate does the block accelerate?

In summary, a 120N force is applied to a 5kg box at a 60 degree angle from the horizontal on a frictionless surface. Using the equations Fnet = ma and Fg = mg, the box will accelerate at a rate of 12 m/s^2. The normal force of the surface on the box must equal the sum of all vertical forces, including the downward component of the applied force.
tobya93

Homework Statement

A force is applied to a box 60 degrees from the horizontal. The box weights 5kg. If the force is 120N, and the surface upon which the box rests upon is frictionless, at what rate does the block accelerate?

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma
Fg= mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I understood the problem initially got the correct answer. The only forces are horizontal so Fcos60 = ma --> 120Ncos60/5 kg = a --> a=12

But when I looked at it again, I wasn't sure how the vertical forces canceled. Fg is 50N. So the normal force has to equal that in the opposite direction to cancel.

Down forces: mg
Up forces: mg + Fsin60

So it seems that the up forces are greater since it's mg + Fsin60 and the down is only mg..little confused.

IDK if this will allow me to show it but this picture shows all the forces:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48340065/20130615_180533.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
tobya93 said:
But when I looked at it again, I wasn't sure how the vertical forces canceled. Fg is 50N. So the normal force has to equal that in the opposite direction to cancel.
No, the normal force must equal whatever it needs to be to cancel all the vertical forces.

Down forces: mg
That's one force. But the applied force also has a downward component (as shown in your diagram).

Up forces: mg + Fsin60
The only "up" force is the normal force of the surface on the box. (Which does equal mg + Fsin60.)

So it seems that the up forces are greater since it's mg + Fsin60 and the down is only mg..little confused.
You're just missing the downward component of the applied force.

I feel dumb. Thanks for pointing that out.

1. What is equilibrium?

Equilibrium is a state of balance or stability in a system where the net forces and torques acting on the system are equal to zero.

2. How is equilibrium related to the acceleration of a block?

In an equilibrium system, there is no net force or torque acting on the block, so the acceleration of the block is zero.

3. Is there a specific rate at which the block accelerates in equilibrium?

No, there is no specific rate at which the block accelerates in equilibrium. The block simply does not accelerate in equilibrium.

4. Can the rate of acceleration change in an equilibrium system?

No, the rate of acceleration cannot change in an equilibrium system as long as the system remains in equilibrium.

5. How can you calculate the rate of acceleration in an equilibrium system?

Since the block does not accelerate in equilibrium, the rate of acceleration is zero. There is no need for calculation.