Equilibrium: Le Chatelier's Principle and CaCO3 Decomposition

In summary, the conversation discusses a Le Chatelier problem about the equilibrium shift in the decomposition of CaCO3. The question asks about the direction of equilibrium shift if the volume of the container was halved. The person initially thought the equilibrium would not shift due to different states of the reactants, but the correct answer is that the equilibrium would shift left to reduce pressure. This is because the equilibrium is determined by the CO2 gas partial pressure and halving the container volume would require half of the CO2 to react with CaO to re-establish the equilibrium partial pressure.
Zayn

Homework Statement

I had a question on a test and I got the wrong answer, but I still don't understand why. It was a Le Chatelier problem about the equilibrium shift, and it described the decomposition of CaCO3

CaCO3(s) <->CaO(s) + CO2(g)

The question asked something along the lines of "If the volume of the container was halved, in what direction would equilibrium shift?"

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it wouldn't shift at all because the CO2 is in a different state than the CaCO3 and CaO, and because one of the ways you can change an equilibrium system without disturbing the equilibrium was to have reactants in different states, but apparently I was wrong. Can you please explain to me why the equilibrium would shift left even if there are no gas entities? Is it just to reduce pressure because there is 1 reactant entity for every 2 product entities? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The equilibrium is determined solely by the equilibrium value of the CO2 gas partial pressure. If the container volume is halved, half of the CO2 will have to react with CaO to re-establish the equilibrium partial pressure.

1. What is equilibrium in chemistry?

Equilibrium in chemistry refers to a state in a reaction where the forward and reverse reactions are occurring at equal rates, resulting in no overall change in concentrations of reactants and products.

2. What is Le Chatelier's Principle?

Le Chatelier's Principle states that when a system at equilibrium is subjected to a stress, it will shift in a direction that minimizes the effect of that stress. This means that if a stress is applied to a system at equilibrium, the system will adjust itself to try and maintain equilibrium.

3. How does Le Chatelier's Principle apply to CaCO3 decomposition?

In the decomposition of CaCO3, the forward reaction is the decomposition of CaCO3 into CaO and CO2, while the reverse reaction is the formation of CaCO3 from CaO and CO2. According to Le Chatelier's Principle, if the concentration of any of these reactants or products is changed, the system will shift to try and maintain equilibrium by favoring the reaction that will reduce the change in concentration.

4. How does temperature affect the equilibrium of CaCO3 decomposition?

Increasing the temperature of the system will favor the endothermic (heat-absorbing) reverse reaction, causing the equilibrium to shift to the left. This means that more CaCO3 will be formed from CaO and CO2, resulting in a decrease in the amount of CaO and CO2 present in the system.

5. How does pressure affect the equilibrium of CaCO3 decomposition?

The decomposition of CaCO3 is not affected by changes in pressure, as the number of moles of gas on both sides of the reaction is the same. Therefore, changes in pressure will not cause a shift in equilibrium for this reaction.