Equilibrium recombination temperature for Helium

In summary, the equilibrium recombination temperature for helium can be derived using the Saha equation, which relates the ionization fraction of an element to its temperature and density. To solve for the equilibrium recombination temperature, we need to set the ionization fraction to 1 and use logarithm rules to rearrange the equation, resulting in the final expression: T_{rec} = \frac{E_i}{ln(2U_{i+1}/U_i) - (3/2)ln(2πm_e k_B/h^2)}.
Chromatic_Universe
Gold Member
How to get to the expression for equilibrium recombination temperature for Helium?

Space news on Phys.org

Hello,

The equilibrium recombination temperature for helium can be derived using the Saha equation, which relates the ionization fraction of an element to its temperature and density. The Saha equation is given by:

n_i/n_{i+1} = (2πm_e k_B T/h^2)^{3/2} * (2U_{i+1}/U_i) * e^{-E_i/k_B T}

where n_i and n_{i+1} are the number densities of the element in the ionized and neutral states, respectively, m_e is the mass of an electron, k_B is the Boltzmann constant, T is the temperature, h is the Planck constant, U_i and U_{i+1} are the partition functions for the ionized and neutral states, and E_i is the ionization energy.

To get the equilibrium recombination temperature for helium, we need to set the ionization fraction to 1, since at equilibrium, all helium atoms will be in the neutral state. This gives us the equation:

1 = (2πm_e k_B T_{rec}/h^2)^{3/2} * (2U_{i+1}/U_i) * e^{-E_i/k_B T_{rec}}

where T_{rec} is the equilibrium recombination temperature.

To solve for T_{rec}, we can take the natural logarithm of both sides and rearrange the equation to get:

ln(1) = ln[(2πm_e k_B T_{rec}/h^2)^{3/2} * (2U_{i+1}/U_i) * e^{-E_i/k_B T_{rec}}]

Using logarithm rules, we can simplify this to:

0 = (3/2)ln(2πm_e k_B T_{rec}/h^2) + ln(2U_{i+1}/U_i) - E_i/k_B T_{rec}

Rearranging and solving for T_{rec}, we get the final expression for the equilibrium recombination temperature for helium:

T_{rec} = \frac{E_i}{ln(2U_{i+1}/U_i) - (3/2)ln(2πm_e k_B/h^2)}

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the equilibrium recombination temperature for Helium?

The equilibrium recombination temperature for Helium is approximately 4500 K.

2. How is the equilibrium recombination temperature for Helium calculated?

The equilibrium recombination temperature for Helium is calculated using the Saha equation, which takes into account the ionization energy, number density, and temperature of the gas.

3. What factors influence the equilibrium recombination temperature for Helium?

The equilibrium recombination temperature for Helium is influenced by the gas density, temperature, and composition. It is also affected by the presence of other elements in the gas mixture, such as carbon, oxygen, and nitrogen.

4. Why is the equilibrium recombination temperature for Helium important in astrophysics?

The equilibrium recombination temperature for Helium is important in astrophysics because it is a crucial factor in determining the composition and temperature of interstellar and intergalactic gas. It also plays a role in the formation and evolution of stars and galaxies.

5. Can the equilibrium recombination temperature for Helium change over time?

Yes, the equilibrium recombination temperature for Helium can change over time due to changes in gas density, temperature, and composition. It can also be affected by external factors such as radiation and shock waves in the gas.