1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilibrium shape of string

1. Apr 11, 2014 #1

CAF123

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An inextensible string of length ##\ell##, whose mass per unit length is ##\rho## is hung between two points at the same height a distance ##d## apart (##d < \ell)##. Using the Euler-Lagrange equations and the first integrals, find the shape of the string when it is in equilibrium.

Relate the constants of integration to ##\ell## and ##d##.

2. Relevant equations
    Need to find a function##F## such that ##I[y] = \int_{x_1}^{x_2} F(y,y',x)\,dx## and ##I[y]## is minimized. For ##F \neq F(x), ## $$y' \frac{\partial F}{\partial y'} - F = \text{const}$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since l>d, the string will be elongated or distorted between the two ends. Suppose the shape is described by ##y(x)##. In equilibrium, the net force on each segment of the string will vanish. Equivalently, the potential energy of each segment of the string is at a minimum and this is easier to deal with.

Take the zero of potential to be at the highest point of the string between the two supports. Then a small segment d##\ell## of the string will be of length ##\sqrt{1+y'^2}##. So ##dm = \rho d\ell = \rho \sqrt{1+y'^2}##. Since zero of potential was assigned at the highest point, all points on the string are below this, so the potential energy of a segment is then ##U = - \rho \sqrt{1+y'^2}gy##, with the y axis vertical. Is this correct?

If I then use Euler-Lagrange, since ##U \neq U(x)##, I use the formula in the relevant equations to get that the equilibrium length satisfies ##y/\sqrt{1+y'^2} = \text{const}##, which when integrated gives ##y ## ~ ##\cosh x##, which seems reasonable given the form of this graph.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks good to me. Cosh is also called Catenary

4. Apr 11, 2014 #3

CAF123

Gold Member

My integral is $$\int_{y_o}^{y} \frac{\text{d}y'}{\sqrt{\left(\frac{y'}{C}\right)^2 - 1}} = \int_{x_o}^x \text{d}x',$$ where ##C## is the constant on the RHS of the Euler-Lagrange first integral.

I set ##y_o = x_o = 0## arbritarily in my set up. Carrying the integration through, I obtain ##C(\theta(y) - \theta(y_o)) = x - x_o## using the substitution ##y = C \cosh \theta##. My problem is there does not exist a ##\theta## satisfying ##y_o = 0 = C \cosh \theta##, so I cannot change the integration limits.

5. Apr 12, 2014 #4

CAF123

Gold Member

In terms of relating the constants of integration to l and d (the second part of the question), I can see one boundary condition that is y(x = 0, d) = 0. (it was given both ends were at the same height at both ends, and in my set up I chose these points to coincide with the x axis). I only had one integration constant, so this should be enough but I did not get any relation involving l.

6. Apr 12, 2014 #5

CAF123

Gold Member

Is there something wrong with setting ##x_o = y_o = 0##? Physically I think no, but if I am to use the substitution I did then maybe I need to change this.

7. Apr 14, 2014 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A few questions to get you unstuck again:
    Whatever happened to ##\ell## itself ? Can't just disappear !
    Why the integral from ##y_0## to ##y## (meaning from 0 to 0 ?) and not from ##y'_0## to ##y'_{x_2}## ?
    And (from post 4): "y(x = 0, d) = 0" is really two boundary conditions, rght ?
    Then: you introduce ##\theta## with ##y = C \cosh \theta##; what is ##\theta## ?
    Previously you had ##y ## ~ ##\cosh x##; would ##y ## ~ ##\cosh (x-d/2) ## be OK too ?

From post 1: ##dm = \rho d\ell = \rho \sqrt{1+y'^2}##, but you mean ## \rho \sqrt{1+y'^2}\, dx##, right ? You can't have a differential on the left and not on the right hand side !
    Similarly: ##U = - \rho \sqrt{1+y'^2}gy##, is a value on the left and function on the right. You mean ## U = \int_0^d F dx \ ## with ##F = - \rho \sqrt{1+y'^2}gy\ ##, right ?

8. Apr 14, 2014 #7

CAF123

Gold Member

Indeed, so a small segment of string of length dl contributes ##dU = -\rho \sqrt{1+y'^2} gy \,dx## to the total potential energy of the system. To obtain the total potential energy of the system, integrate over all x. I.e ##U = \int_0^d -\rho \sqrt{1+y'^2} gy \,dx##. Now, since the integrand is not a function of x, I can still apply the relevant Euler-Lagrange first integral.

Yes, I think I need to incorporate it into the boundary conditions.
    ##y_o=0## and ##y## stood for some arbritary y in the range from 0 to the y value corresponding to the lowest point of the string.
    Yes.
    I did not really think of a physical realization of ##\theta##, I was using the substitution in order to solve the integral.

9. Apr 14, 2014 #8

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ah, I'm sorry, you are doing the right thing. I got confused by your using ##y'## for ## dy/dx ## on one occasion and for the name of an integration variable on another.

Indeed the "equilibrium length" (i.e. the functional that gives an extremum for ##U##) satisfies the differential equation $${\rho g \, y \over \sqrt{1+y'^2} } = c, $$ which solves to $${dx\over dy} = { \bar c \over\sqrt{y^2-\bar c^2}}$$with ##\bar c ={c\over \rho g}##.

Then you set ##y = \bar c \,\cosh \theta##, hence ## dy = \bar c \, \sinh \theta d\theta ## to get an integral over ##\bar \theta## :
    $$x = \bar c \int_{\theta_0}^\theta {\sinh \bar\theta\over \sinh \bar\theta}\, d\bar\theta = \bar c \, \theta + b $$

But now I've painted myself in the same corner as you. There must be something wrong with our y: The minimum surface of revolution has the same differential equation and the same cosh answer, but there is of course a condition y > 0 (see e.g. page 6 of http://math.hunter.cuny.edu/mbenders/cofv.pdf) that we are lacking. We can shift the x such that e.g. b = 0, but I don't know about y.

And I also need ##\ell## back in, probably via the ##\int ds ##...

10. Apr 15, 2014 #9

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Found a solution that indeed makes use of the constraint, but I don't know if it is going to make you happy.

Credit to Frank Porter at CalTech for this link that combines Euler-Lagrange with Lagrange multipliers method for optimization with the ##\int d\bar \ell = \ell## constraint.

##\bar c## and b as integration constants now get company from a third unknown (the Lagrange multiplier ##\lambda##), so that y0=0, y2=0 and ##\ell## can be accomodated comfortably.

11. Apr 15, 2014 #10

CAF123

Gold Member

I think I can use the boundary conditions to determine ##\bar{c}## and ##b = -\bar{c}\theta_0##, but the problem is I cannot do this in practice because there is no theta satisfying coshθ=0.

Also, I am yet to find a boundary condition involving l. (as per the question requirements).

Edit: we typed past each other - thanks, but the solution uses Lagrange multipliers and I didn't cover this in my course. I am speaking to my professor on Thursday and I will ask him then unless someone else chips in. Then I will let you know.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted