1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilibrium temperature as function of latitude

1. Oct 6, 2003 #1
    Find the equilibrium temperature of the moon as a function of latitude assuming that the moon is a rapid rotater with an emissivity of 1, zero obliquity, and a bond albedo of 0.07.

The only variable for this problem in the equation for equilibrium temperture is the distance from the Sun. If I say that the center of the moon is a distance d (1AU) from the Sun, then a given point on the surface is a distance d+Rcos(latitude) where R is the radius of the moon. Using this value in the equation for equilibrium temperature doesn't change the temperature much from pole to equator (about 0.01 K).

Defeated, I resort to this,

d is the distance from the Sun, which I take to be about 1AU
    A is the albedo, L is the solar luminosity
    s=sigma=Boltzmann constant
    It appears that the first equation estimates the area of the moon using a circle (piR^2) and the second using the equation for the area of a sphere (4pir^2). I follow along these lines. The effective area of the moon is dA=2Rcos(latitude)dh in the first equation (two dimensional area). For the second, I use a cylindrical estimation of the area (3D): dA=piR2cos2(latitude)dh. I substitute these into the equations and solve for T. The answer I get indicates that the temperature of the moon is about 8K at the equator and approaches infinity near the poles.

edit: I caught a mistake. I used the volume of a cylinder rather than the area of the cylinder. In that case, the solution approximately reduces to the original method off by a small constant factor.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2003 #2
    This refers to the total absorbed power.
    I think it's better to use intensity (power per unit area).

For absorption, Intensity varies because of the inclination of the surface:
    For emission, we have

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?