1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilibrium temperature

1. Jul 9, 2008 #1
    I've found the question that I am doing at this site:
    http://www.kent.k12.wa.us/pcpow/questions/phys/0105Bird/index.html

The answer is given here, but not the steps:
    http://www.kent.k12.wa.us/pcpow/solutions/physics/0105bird/index.html

I know how to do Part A, but no matter how I tried to do part B (What was the thermal equilibrium temperature of that coffee), I do not get the answer given 56.97 degrees C.

I've followed the instructions in the solution and setted the energy lost by the coffee to be equal to the energy gained by the ice and the cream:

I've attached my work:
    [​IMG]

Can someone tell me what I did wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What you've done so far is fine. You need to expand the brackets and get all the final temps on one side and all the rest on the other. You've missed the specific heat capacity from some of the terms though.

4. Jul 9, 2008 #3
    I did that but I got a value of -14194.9 =(

5. Jul 9, 2008 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd check your working because using that method I get the answer. If possible write down all steps of your calculation so they can be checked.

6. Jul 9, 2008 #5
    here's my work:
    [​IMG]

7. Jul 9, 2008 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Like I said before you haven't included the specific heat capacity constant.

8. Jul 9, 2008 #7
    ahh i see! i assumed that the c's would cancel since they were all the same but i missed the fact that mL doesnt hv a c. thanks for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?