What Went Wrong in Calculating Equilibrium Temperature?

In summary, the equilibrium temperature of the system can be found by using the equation Q = mcΔT, where the specific heat for lead is 0.13J/g°C and the specific heat for water is 4.186J/g°C. The equilibrium temperature was calculated to be 82.5°C after rearranging the equation and correcting for the mix-up of specific heats. The negative sign was also not needed in the equation.
mikep
A 199 g lead ball at a temperature of 80.9°C is placed in a light calorimeter containing 178 g of water at 24.5°C. Find the equilibrium temperature of the system.

i used the equation [tex]Q = mc \Delta T[/tex]
-(199g)(4.186J/g°C)(T - 80.9°C) + (178g)(0.13J/g°C)(T - 24.5°C) = 0
T = T final = 82.5°C
can someone please tell mw what i did wrong?
can someone also confirm if the specific heat for lead is 0.13J/g°C?

Physics news on Phys.org
mikep said:
can someone please tell mw what i did wrong?

You put the specific heat of water in the term for the lead ball, and vice versa.

can someone also confirm if the specific heat for lead is 0.13J/g°C?

Not off the top of my head, but if you type "specific heat lead" into Google, I'm sure you can find it.

oh yeah and i also didn't need the negative sign. i got it thanks

What is equilibrium temperature?

Equilibrium temperature is the temperature at which there is a balance between the amount of energy absorbed and the amount of energy emitted by an object, resulting in no net change in temperature.

How is equilibrium temperature calculated?

Equilibrium temperature can be calculated using the Stefan-Boltzmann law, which states that the energy emitted by an object is proportional to the fourth power of its temperature. It can also be calculated using the equations for energy balance, which take into account factors such as albedo and greenhouse gases.

What factors affect equilibrium temperature?

The factors that affect equilibrium temperature include the composition and albedo (reflectivity) of the object, the amount of energy received from the sun, and the presence of greenhouse gases that can trap heat in the atmosphere.

How is equilibrium temperature related to climate change?

Equilibrium temperature plays a crucial role in understanding climate change, as it determines the temperature of the Earth's surface and atmosphere. As the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere increases, the equilibrium temperature of the Earth also increases, resulting in global warming.

Why is understanding equilibrium temperature important?

Understanding equilibrium temperature is important for predicting and studying the Earth's climate, as well as for developing strategies to mitigate the effects of climate change. It also helps us understand the energy balance of other planets and objects in the universe.